Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Engine and Gearbox into VR

Schniz2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive II Wagon
My V6 Auto VR has done 400k+ and the torque converter and gearbox are packing it in. Got quoted ~1500 to fix torque converter and gearbox issue.

I can get a V6 Auto VS engine and gearbox and i was wondering whether it would be work the time and effort? Is it a simple conversion? I've got a hoist.

Or i can get a Torque converter and gearbox second hand for ~$220. But i cant imagine it would be an easy job to replace that?

Alternatively i could sell it for peanuts and buy something newer

Suggestions?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd go with the second hand box and converter for $220. Putting an Ecotec in, apart from the legal bit, involves a new engine harness, computer, hoses, exhaust etc etc....the hassles would drive a man to drink (hic) With a hoist and a strong mate, you can instal the 2nd hand box in about 4 hours.
Alternatively, you can get a good VS for under $4000 that's probably one owner and under 200Km. Good Luck.

Schniz2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive II Wagon
Thanks for the fast reply.

i got the box and converter for $150....

I didn't realise the VR and VS were that different.... the gearbox and torque converter is out of a vs... will that be a problem?

*EDIT* I found your post that explains the differences between the transmissions. Very helpful! Thanks again!

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The VS box has a different number of pins on the electrical connector and from memory it's because the lockup clutch is operated differently....but best you do a search (Google as well as JC) as I think it can be overcome. Your first post 'seemed' to indicate that you could get a box and TQ to fit the VR...not one from a VS!...but there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

johnsy_vs

=Johnsy=
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
get a new box and converter mate, i sold mine for 220 lol after my manual conversion hunt arround they are a dime a dozen.... recomend a wreckers tho as they usually have a months warranty. good luck :)