Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crazed96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Hey guys, first post and here's the deal...

I've gone out and bought a running and driving 98 VS parts car with a manual gearbox and Ecotec in it. I'm wanting to swap these into my current ute 97 VS with an auto and Ecotec. The questions I keep coming back to are these:

Will it be easier to splice the wiring looms from auto to the manual like a lot of people do, or is it easier since I have the manual loom and all to just swap the lot?

Once I swap all the computers around will my ignition and all the security jazz still work or is there going to be altercations there?

Any hints or tips on this would be great as it's my first engine swap and while I've got a decent idea I'm still lost in the woods a bit!
Thanks in advance!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Swap everything, don't dick around trying to splice and solder (and possibly destroy) loom, it's a waste of time when you have the complete loom there.

What kind of ignition and security 'jazz' do you have?

Crazed96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Is it as simple as unplugging it and swapping it? Computers and all?
And just the stock automatic locks and that. Just wasn't sure if swapping computers meant swapping the keys or not. Don't mean to sound stupid just never done swaps before.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
use the engine loom and computer from the manual car, will swap right over and plug in with the rest of the existing loom in the engine bay. engine computers dont have to be coded to your security system, the key fob and bcm are coded together, ecu's will work with all ecotec engines.

last one i wrecked i sold as a package: the engine loom, computer, pedal assembly, hydraulic clutch lines and reservoir, gearbox with clutch, flywheel and driveshaft. you'll need all this from the donor car.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Theres no security link between BCM and ECU on VS models, so if a different ECU, or a different BCM (and its matching keyfob ) is fitted, the vehicle will start. The keyhead must still match the BCM though. The BCM/ECU security relinking with tech2 sscantool was introduced on VT models.

Crazed96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
So I don't need to mess with the bcm at all just the ECU and looms and it's that simple?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
all plug and play, yes...

Crazed96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Awesome guys really appreciate it. Hopefully doing the swap next weekend when my mate gets back from holidays. I'll be sure to post how it goes!

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
Am i right in thinking the OP will also need to source a tailshaft for a manual ute?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
id be assuming the wheelbase is the same as a sedan so the drive shaft would fit too. i know a monaro with a t56 uses the same drive shaft as a v6 sedan (at least thats what the wreckers sold my workmate and it fit fine). im just guessing though...