Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs engine into vy?

frdhtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais charged v6
Hey guys I no it's probly been covered before but a quick search was no luck, friend of mine bought a vy v6 dirt cheap and the Ecotec has pooped itself, is it possible to put a vs Ecotec engine in it? What needs to be changed Somone told me the exhaust manifold and intake manifold for the egr valve is this true? Cheers

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Theres is more pollution gear on the vy like you mentioned. So yes the inlet stuff would have to be swapped. If you swap all that over you will pretty much have a vy engine minus 1 or 2 sensors that need to be added in(dont think it would be hard to add them, they would screw in somwhere) but the problem is you will have an old serial number stamped on the vs block which means it wont go through the motor authority. There maybe some other differences, but thats some points to consider

frdhtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais charged v6
So it will work but legally it cannot
Be registed? How do I legally get around this or does it need a new engine from the same year or newer not older? Cheers

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
No, you cant fit an older engine to a newer car. It cant legally be registered, even if it is technically the "same" engine.

You can only fit a newer engine to an older car.

jp_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but do you need to engineer a vy motor into a vs? Or just change the engine number through the rta?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Should be fine.