Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Engine lifespan

Grinner2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sedan, VS ute
Hi All New here just wanted to know what the usual KMS I could expect out of a V6 Ecotec motor,have just aquired a VS V6 ute with about 400000 ks on the clock runs pulls ok but has miss in motor which I have tracked down to a dud inject. Wandering wether to spend money on this motor or get rid of it or rebuild. Pick up s/h motor for $1.00 but unsure the amount of work it has done or what model. Might be good for bits.
Regard Jim

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
My last one ran up to around 550,000km......was still going strong when I got rid of it (just a little rattly)

With the price of Ecotecs you would be better off getting a low km second hand......I see around 160-200,000km ones go for around $500-700 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a rebuild.

If it's only a daily drive second hand motor will be fine.
Although if all that is wrong with yours is an injector, get a new set and you may get another 200,000 out of it for all you know, just run it till it dies

I have seen the old ecotecs/buicks go around the odometer when serviced regularly, they are pretty solid engines....the main reason they go is lack of care.......as they get old service them every 5000km, run good fuel through it, don't rev it hard (e.g try to keep it under 4000 rpm) and it will live forever

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I try not to rev my statesman (buick) over 2000rpm, I feel like I'm hurting it if I do :embarrass even though it's only at 167,000. I don't drive it hard at all.

the ecotec in my VS exec lasted only until 230,000 but it had a very hard life before I got it.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Be a good chance to do a 5L conversion ;) Definitely wouldn't bother with a rebuild unless you have the skills to do the whole thing yourself.

Grinner2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sedan, VS ute
Be a good chance to do a 5L conversion ;) Definitely wouldn't bother with a rebuild unless you have the skills to do the whole thing yourself.

A 5l conversion would be nice but would exceed the value of the ute, and yes I do have the skills to do a rebuild(50 yrs as a motor mechanic). Will probably put a set of ring and bearing etc in on of the motors I have which should see me out.
Regards Jim

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
I try not to rev my statesman (buick) over 2000rpm, I feel like I'm hurting it if I do :embarrass even though it's only at 167,000. I don't drive it hard at all.

the ecotec in my VS exec lasted only until 230,000 but it had a very hard life before I got it.

da ####? lol you must get way good fuel econamy, also its not good doing that, cars should be diriven a little hard every now and then atleast!