Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS engine problem

fusi0nx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WL SLAMMED
ok well ill start from the start, a couple days ago got the vs back on the road after it was off for about a month and a half, didnt get started and such, it wouldnt start at all so charged battery over night was all good, drove to work annd worked fine came home, than went off to pick up someone and when we were on the way back home the oil light came on, so we thaught it would hold out and i would fill it up back at home, but just after that this wierd ticking noise was comming from the engine than shortly after we lost all power to the car and we came to a rolling stop, got my mate to come down and jump it, wouldnt turn over, so we called the raa and he came and started it and checked oil and such and went off when we got back to my house thaught we would check the oil again just to make sure annd it was bellow the add line, u would think that the raa person would have said something, so i thaught that was why the problem was happening so we filled up and drove back rah rah rah all good, next day drive back to my friends place and start hearing that noise, but the oil light would only come on when braking or accelerating making me think it was a dodgy sensor? but than i started hearing the ticking noise comming from the engine, checked oil again and its full so it cant be that theres no oil? this problem has got me stumped :hmmm:, and wondered if anyone knew or has had this problem any help would be apreciated heaps! thanks

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It sounds like either the oil pressure is low,or sparadically non existant.Or the pump pickup opening itself is blocked,its only a very small pump pickup opening,and it can get blocked up with crud, or lastly, the filter screen on the oil pump pickup is blocked, which happens a lot on these cars when they havnt been serviced properly with regular oil and oil filter changes..Id get the cold and hot oil pressures tested to see what the condition of the oil pump,and engine etc is like,but it sounds like it might have already done some damage to your engine.Probably main and conrod bearing damage at the least.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
If the oil light is coming on when braking or accelerating there must be something wrong with the oil pickup in the sump. Or like Brett_jjj said the oil pump. I'd pull the timing cover off first and check the oil pump tolerance for wear. If thats allgood then you're going to have to pull the sump off and have a look which isnt an easy job...

I'd be more inclined to say theres something wrong with the pickup.

fusi0nx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WL SLAMMED
thankyou for the replies. will have to get it checked out, wish i noticed it was on low oil when we broke down, bloody raa, uhmmmm if the oil light dosent come on straight away only after been driving for a while would that still mean that theres a problem like oil pump not working? because its only when its driven for a while

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the pump pickup is restricted with gunk,or if the pump itself is faulty,the engine might only be getting half the oil pressure it needs.If it only happens after a while when the oil is hot and thinner,it sounds like the pump is having trouble keeping the thinner oil under pressure.When the oil is cooler, its thicker, and will run at higher pressures until it warms up..Id say the pump is buggered.The cold and hot pressure tests will show whats going on anyway.