Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs engine swap

Hintzynz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2011
Trying to help a friend who doesn't have a lot of knowledge or money .
Was a 3.8 Buick 94 series 2 vs ute
Donor motor is 3.8 Buick 94 everything same except trans plugs.
Have ignition lights but no fuel pump or won't turn over .
The transmission plugs are different can anyone please help this guy does a lot for others and gets taken advantage of and I want to try help with this car he has been stressed as he wanted it going to take his daughter to her school ball in two weeks .. any ideas be highly appreciated ppl

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your mate has a VR not VS. Late 94 is when the transmissions changed. It sounds like he has done an engine and trans swap. He can probably use the updated trans but he will need the later harness and PCM plus BCM if he has VATS enabled. The go would be to keep everything from the original vehicle and just use the engine. Unfortunately with the VR not everything is interchangeable as it was the model that transmission changes between the early and late models. Normally with a VR you try to keep your trans as it can be hard to find the right one.

Last edited:

Hintzynz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2011
ok only problem is don’t have original running gear only complete parts car which we have swapped loom computer motor an trans

Hintzynz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2011
everything plugged up except trans plugs as ones on ute is round big plug and trans wants a square plug

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need the right trans without it you will go no where. It won't even start. If the donor harness doesn't fit the trans from the donor then it too was never running. Early trans will not suit late PCM, and harness.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will probably need to go to the wreckers with your trans harness and find the right one that fits. That is assuming the PCM is the matching one that suits the trans you are buying. Some people think that all Commodores are the same and try to tell unsuspecting buyers what they think will work where there are differences, in just a matter of a few months. Was the donor even running and drivable?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The early 94 trans has a round plug. You need a new trans as they are generally not interchangeable.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm fairly certain the later VR has a round plug too but with two extra pins. This is why I was saying that the VR is a tricky one. This is why i said you can't easily find the right trans that will work.
What i suggest your mate does is pull the PCM and post up the numbers on the case. You need to figure out what year and month the PCM is then buy the matching trans, otherwise there are too many variables.

Last edited: