Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS EQUIPE 1997 CAT ISSUE

DazzaVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe 1997 3.8L
Hey guys - just bought a VS and there is an exhaust leak and big rattle when I start the car. Looked under and the cat is welded in on the headers side - is this normal? Doesn’t look right. Got a feeling someone before did something real dumb to it but hey if i need to get a new exhaust from engine back so be it

Attachments

• AB1366DD-3C4C-4ACF-88B8-98EA8A961A3F.jpeg
    AB1366DD-3C4C-4ACF-88B8-98EA8A961A3F.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 279

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not an uncommon thing for an exhaust shop to do by any means, looks like a pretty good weld. If you've got extractors that's likely the reason as most of them come without flanges. If the cat has been replaced at some point it was also likely easier to weld.

Totally possible the cat has collapsed, it's a pretty common thing to happen due to age, but usually the engine side of the exhaust pipe gets red hot if it's totally blocked.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
That's how it came from factory on a VS V6 with the cat welded to the Y-pipe. The previous model VR V6 cat had bolted flange each end.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I concur with woteva as they were a fully welded assembly on VS Ecotech.

DazzaVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe 1997 3.8L
That's how it came from factory on a VS V6 with the cat welded to the Y-pipe. The previous model VR V6 cat had bolted flange each end.
Wonder why they did that. Had a good look under there today, the exhaust is farked, the muffler has 3 holes in it plus the pipe connection coming off it rusted & about half off. Going to need to replace from cat back absolute minimum. Whats your thoughts on resonators yes or no? I can see on ebay they have some with or without. You need the back end pressure which the resonator provides right? I remember someone telling me once the resonator provided a smoother sound too, could be made up

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Ray,

Unless you want that kiddy loud sound out of a stock 6 cylinder (yuk), I would have both muffler and resonator replaced and then have that quiet sound restored.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah with VS lover the resonator will stop the drone, Ecos have without one.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can't stand droning exhausts. A note is one thing but droning is unacceptable to me.