Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS exec key question

tt460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
Signed up to ask for a friend who doesnt have the net.

They just purchased a 97 vs exec only one key will start the car, it will unlock it remotely and the boot but not the door.
the other key will not even turn the ignition or the boot lock.

The key hole on the drivers door appears as if a person as jammed something in it , the keys appear to be different cuts, could one just be a valet key with a flat battery or has the wrong key been given to him from the car yard ?

Also any ideas why the working key will not open the drivers door manually ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
there should be 2 keys and they should be the same. sounds like the drivers door lock is buggered and one key is wrong too.
When you press unlock once the drivers door should unlock. press it again and the other 3 doors should unlock.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's not unusual for the door lock to be buggered as it is rarely if ever used and rusts up and/or just jams with old age. It may be possible to free up the lock if it hasn't been "forced" - this then will allow the car to be "deadlocked".
When new they came with 2 keys - one remote key for the door/boot/ignition and the other for the glovebox. (according to the owners handbook)
Mine came with 3 remote keys but no key for the glovebox....win some, lose some.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think the glovebox key is much smaller like a padlock key ? dunno cos i never got one either..
Can you spray something in the lock to free it up ? Silicone spray or WD40 ?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The illustration of the glovebox key is like you say greenacc - similar to a padlock key. It's a bit of a joke really as the lock is made of plastic and easily forced open. Re the doorlock, I freed mine up with WD40 (soaked for a few days) and then after it worked I saturated it with lanolin spray both from inside and outside the door. The doorlock has a microswitch which cuts power to the door unlocking facility deadlocking the doors so you need to be confident the doorlock is in good working order. I've got a sneaking suspicion that I may have not done the right thing by following up the WD40 with the lanolin spray as it is kind of greasy and may eventually jam the microswitch up.

tt460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
I will get him to go back to the dealer and see if they have some how provided a wrong key, how much is a new key

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
New key is $140 from holden, $99 from mister minit so i was told last week.