Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Executive Transmission and Power Steering problems

Jtorcon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
Hi There

My 1996 VS is recently coming across some problems :(
there is something wrong with my transmission since the car cant even go up my street and accelerate like it would even after Ive turned it on for about 5 min to warm it up. also while Im accelerating after i hit 3000rpm it jumps up to 5000, over revs and wont change gears until i back off and tease the engine to change gears.
do i need a new transmission or is there something else?

Also
i am constantly needing to fill my power steering with fluid every 2-3 days. but turns up with no visible leaks the next day after i park the car and there are no leaks in the line.

has anybody else come across these problems before?
please help!!!

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
try replacing the tps

if this dose not help you can do a filter change

yes this has happend twice to me i currently have a 4l60e at the trans shop being fixed

oh yea i trans flushed my second box but that just made it worse so it's getting a small rebuild

MAD550

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon/VR Sedan
Check trans fluid levels my other VR did that all the time turned out trans fluid level was low and make sure you check with engine at idle LOL thats how I got caught out

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Hi There

i am constantly needing to fill my power steering with fluid every 2-3 days. but turns up with no visible leaks the next day after i park the car and there are no leaks in the line.

please help!!!

Bound to be a leak somewhere. Do you get burning smell through the vents?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Re the power steering - it must be leaking from somewhere! - try squeezing the rack boots to see if they are full of fluid (should be dry)...also run your fingers under the reservoir to see if it's wet..also check the 2 hoses that go from the reservoir to the pump.

barnett681

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 1996 Executive
problem with my power steering fluid levels,so i changed the high presssure hose pulled pump off and cleaned it .i put new fluid in and started it with both front wheels off the ground, the power steering fluid did not seem to leak quiet heavily and grinding noises.i have some idea reading a few comments that where on the web.when you replace the high pressure line you should jack the front of the car from the ground and fill resurvor with fluid as the steering is being turn both ways to full lock continue to refill the reservoir.i have done all off that but as soon as i start the engine the pump makes i grinding noise throws the drive belt off and starts to leak behind pump.i also have the same probe as another fella on this web site where you have to back off on the throttle to get it to go in the right gear anyone got any idea its a 1996 vs ex 3.5 ecotec