Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Factory wiring for the Front Tweeters/Doors?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
cleaner signal if you use an amp
Amp doesn't make it cleaner, good quality speakers do that, Amp just means more power without distorting the speaker via the headhunt max out volume.
Better off buying a good set of cross overs and piss off the crap you have in the front. If you want to Amp your speakers do it from the back parcel shelf.
Like I said for both front door speaker to stop like they did at once is strange, if there was a problem like a earthing out wire it would shut down the whole speaker including tweeters on that line.
Without seeing the set up how they wired it then it be better to run new wires to the doors, just cut the speaker wire in the kickboard side and tape the new ones to it and pull them thru from the door.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wrong Trevor, fitting an amp means you get the same and more volume while being able to maintain a clean signal.
Basically you get to turn the HU up to say 40 and have a decent volume. Whereas getting the same volume from the head unit alone would mean maxing it out into the range of an unclean signal and getting distortion. I have fitted plenty of amps and have one in my ute, so have a pretty good idea.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Decent speakers will make it sound better but will do little for a HU volume knob turned past the point of it's clean signal range. On my Pioneer
HU it's about 39-43.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The front system was in before I purchased the vehicle, I haven't seen any aftermarket crossovers in there yet. It is stock tweeter with some "option audio" brand woofers in the door- where would the crossover's normally go in a VS?
Its not a cross over as such its just a boring dead tweeter with a compressor to reduce the power, all it is doing is passing the highs, if you want the real sounding cross overs then buy them u wont get that feeling from factory, what I done with my old vr was removed the plastic removed the old tweeter and cut a hole in the pop out plastic housing on the dash so the pods would set on top flush.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Wrong Trevor, fitting an amp means you get the same and more volume while being able to maintain a clean signal.
Basically you get to turn the HU up to say 40 and have a decent volume. Whereas getting the same volume from the head unit alone would mean maxing it out into the range of an unclean signal and getting distortion. I have fitted plenty of amps and have one in my ute, so have a pretty good idea.
Why did you just repeat what I said but in another way.

A car amplifier boosts a very small electrical audio signal to a much higher voltage capable of driving loudspeakers.

Most car stereos can't offer a high power output that can drive speakers with high volume and clarity. A great example is adding a subwoofer to your car for loud bass or for driving the main speakers with much more volume and lower distortion.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Because I thought you and others may have misunderstood. But I was wrong, clearly you have NFI......
Like yourself pulling things off farking them then running to your dodgy mechanic who not much better.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Thanks everyone for all the help.

I have some idea about it all - I just wasn't sure on the how the factory side of things ran - I already installed a 12" sub and amp in the boot and did the rear speakers. It wont be to hard to run another amp for the front - and get some splits also.

My guess is the wire in the door hinge is shorting out, this seems to be the main problem for everyone - but yes very odd both channels stopped at the same time. That's the reason I pulled the head unit and gave it to the Car audio store to bench test it all.