Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS front brake upgrade to VT

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Current: VH SL/X BT1, about install 5L EFI
I know a few people have done this conversion with mixed results but I'm about to do it to my 95 senator and I'm wondering if;

Replacing the VS hubs with VT ones, will it even bolt up and if so does it then remove the need for shims on the VT 296mm discs?

Once the brakes are bolted up, can you install a bigger disc than the standard VT 296mm?

Is changing of the master cylinder a absolute must? I've read threads, that say as long as you install the callipers with the bleeding nipple pointing up, they will bleed up fine?

All advice/experience is greatly appreciated
:)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Don't do the VT upgrade, the VE spec upgrade is much better. You get either 298mm or 322mm rotors, VE calipers and pads, brake lines, mounting hardware and fluid. No need to change master cylinder or booster to keep a good pedal.

The issue with VT calipers and the VS m/cyl is that the VT twin piston caliper displaces more fluid than the VS single piston. With the VE calipers, the twin pistons are smaller so they displace the same amount of fluid as the single VS piston, but being twin piston, you will have better pad pressure on the rotor.

I do the VE kit for the VS for $795. Shipping to Darwin will be about $60.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Dunno if you have already brought a kit or not, but I have a vt brake upgrade kit for sale. They came off my VR so they will directly bolt on with no dramas at all. Only thi.ng missing is pads but everything else is there. Just need a clean and paint. Front and rears also. With drilled and cross slotted DBA rotors.

If your keen let me know.

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't do the VT upgrade, the VE spec upgrade is much better. You get either 298mm or 322mm rotors, VE calipers and pads, brake lines, mounting hardware and fluid. No need to change master cylinder or booster to keep a good pedal.

Bud, I've already purchased a VT set up... Just waiting for it to arrive now

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
What did ya pay if u don't mind me asking. Pm me if must

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
"What did ya pay if u don't mind me asking. Pm me if must"

Honestly?, $85 including postage on eBay :)

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
I know a few people have done this conversion with mixed results but I'm about to do it to my 95 senator and I'm wondering if;

Replacing the VS hubs with VT ones, will it even bolt up and if so does it then remove the need for shims on the VT 296mm discs?

Once the brakes are bolted up, can you install a bigger disc than the standard VT 296mm?

Is changing of the master cylinder a absolute must? I've read threads, that say as long as you install the callipers with the bleeding nipple pointing up, they will bleed up fine?

All advice/experience is greatly appreciated
:)

1. can't replace vt with vs hubs throws abs off and other things, use the shims.
2. AFAIK no standard vt caliper = standard disc
3. Yes change master cylinder and booster, other wise you will have a spongy peddle the twin piston vt caliper displace more fluid then the vs ones
4. bleed nipple up iirc bleed nipple is on the top any way when installed correctly.( i'll check my car in a bit)

i've done the upgrade on my vs relatively simple the hardest part is getting the booster out cause of the clip on the brake pedal other then that its straight forward, make sure you have new brake line's for the front standard vs ones arn't long enough.

also what i did with the shims was put them in the oven at 180 for 5 minutes just to expand them a bit then slipped then over the hub, they are on there nice and tight now, just use welders gloves when doing this.

i'm running qfm pads and dba slotted rotors can't go wrong pulls up a treat and once the pads are bedded in brake dust is very low.

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
"3. Yes change master cylinder and booster, other wise you will have a spongy peddle the twin piston vt caliper displace more fluid then the vs ones"

Did you change the whole set up to VT(booster/master cylinder) or just pieces of each?

"make sure you have new brake line's for the front standard vs ones arn't long enough.

also what i did with the shims was put them in the oven at 180 for 5 minutes just to expand them a bit then slipped then over the hub, they are on there nice and tight now, just use welders gloves when doing this.

i'm running qfm pads and dba slotted rotors can't go wrong pulls up a treat and once the pads are bedded in brake dust is very low."

Thanks for the heads up :)

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
changed the whole setup, master and booster together, and change the fluid res to the vs one, you have to re drill a hole for that to fit as it doesn't line up with the vt fluid res.

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
changed the whole setup, master and booster together, and change the fluid res to the vs one, you have to re drill a hole for that to fit as it doesn't line up with the vt fluid res.

Ok cool, use a VT booster and master but keep the vs res... So everything thing should line up apart from the minor alteration to the fluid res?