Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS front brakes

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
So I checked my front brakes two weeks ago , passengers side pads were only half worn , drivers side inside pad 3/4 worn and outside pad has less than 1 mm of material left.
Problem:- sticking piston?
Likelihood that when fitting new pads pressing piston back in to fit will free it up and solve problem. Brake fluid is about to be changed and discs hopefully machined , they will then be probably right on minimum thickness.
Don't want to get new discs if I can avoid it or spend too much as would really like to eventually upgrade brakes .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sticky piston or possibly slide pin. I rebuilt my calipers 6 months ago. The kits are cheap on eBay. Only thing i had to do was reuse the old dust seals as the ones in the kit were about 1mm to big and wouldn't press in, no matter how much i tried.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you're gonna reuse the old rotors and get them machined it might be just as cheap to buy a set of RDAs or similar. Last ones i bought were under 60 bucks for the pair. Last time i machined rotors it was 25 buck each.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I should have thought about this 1 1/2 weeks ago . Been waiting for new strut top mounts ( going super pro ) , hopefully they're super. Wondering whether to hope pressing it back in will free it up.
Really want to book it in for next week, get mechanics to change brake fluid , machine discs , service auto ( due at 10k after auto rebuild for 12 months warranty ) , although ( not sure why I'm worried about that as it's been almost 11 months since rebuild) and wheel alignment.
Hopefully after all this I can start enjoying it again .

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok , I'll see mechanics tomorrow, hopefully, see how much they're charging .
I could just leave them , there's a slight grooving/ rippling in the surface, has been like that for years .
I recon new pads and fluid will restore my lost initial medium brake effectiveness.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It might free it up but i have had sticky pistons caused by a rust lump under the main seal. I had to dismantle the caliper and scrape the groove with a seal hook and clean it up. Have you got ABS? Just its easy to do a flush if you don't have ABS. I flush my own but no ABS. I don't service my utes trans, either. I'm happy to spend 160 bucks a have it done because I get a proper condition report.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Take caliper off, slide caliper apart, (dont damage the slide pin boots they just pop on) clean pin and it's bore, grease with rubber grease, put back together.
Plenty of vids on youtube to show you how.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
No abs, early maloo's were base utes with a few upgrades and a few options , ( didn't even get electric windows unless option ticked).
Have thought about getting one of those single person brake bleeders( do need to as a long term thing ).
Don't want to really pull things apart again shortly but really do want it going again .
Monaros been on daily last 2 weeks( can't complain, cold , wet and it's a hoot ,as always) as still waiting on throttle cable for Suzuki and don't really want to put it back together to redo stuff a week or 2 later .
It's a hard life , the more vechices you have, the more cost and potential problems

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There's really no difference between flushing a VS with ABS and one without. Same process just don't let fluid in the reservoir go too low and suck air into the master.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, lowandslow, I'll have a look.