Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS front brakes

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Brembo upgrade for under 50 bucks that's a steal.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: While he is there he could take off a spark plug lead to make it seem like he has a lumpy idle....

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i did the ve brake conversion to my vs ute and they are perfect i never go back to single piston
unless you experience the difference between the single 289 mm/ 321mm twin caliper it is chalk and cheese and my m/c is still oringinal so she is nearly 23 years old non abs
there is a ve 328mm brake upgrade on ebay for 600 bucks https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-BRAK...409028?hash=item3d4cdabe44:g:TMMAAOSwCU1YrqtV
a lot of ve/vf v6 calipers around,

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Sorry. It was slide pin grease. Made by PBR. My bad.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
i did the ve brake conversion to my vs ute and they are perfect i never go back to single piston
unless you experience the difference between the single 289 mm/ 321mm twin caliper it is chalk and cheese and my m/c is still oringinal so she is nearly 23 years old non abs
there is a ve 328mm brake upgrade on ebay for 600 bucks https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-BRAK...409028?hash=item3d4cdabe44:g:TMMAAOSwCU1YrqtV
a lot of ve/vf v6 calipers around,
That to me seems pretty reasonable .
One thing with 328 mm discs I'm quessing would need to run 17s as a minimum .
Showed mechanic one of my discs and his opinion as I already really thought my discs after clean up would be under .
Took the slider pins out , they're fxxked, even the bores they slide in aren't great.
Got some of that bendix lube today and cleaned every thing up to get working (short term fix).
Booked ute in for Tuesday for wheel alignment and auto service so I'll put back together tomorrow. Going to look again tomorrow to see if I've kept any of my older, better pads but I doubt it ( just to save the new ones if I go modified).
So the long term options are :
1 : new standard discs and I'll get a full caliper rebuild kit

2 : use my standard V2 monaro front discs and calipers ( put a seal rebuild kit through them, they're in much better nick than the maloo's ). Buy spacer rings (apparently they're illegal) , new flexy brake lines and as far as I can tell vt master cylinder and mod rod and get single to double flare adopters.
A couple of things I like about this option is should hopefully be similar cost to option 1 since I have the discs and calipers already and while not the most powerful upgrade and mucking around with master cylinder, at 296 mm discs I can run my standard 16s mags when I want to.
3 : VE brake upgrade kit
Don't know what people think, I am now leaning towards either option 1 or 2.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I put new rotors, HPX pads and braided front lines as well as rebuilt the calipers and it made a decent improvement. Decent rotors will have better grab too from the research i did when I did the fronts on the ute. For some reason the better quality rotors have steel that works better. Even without being slotted or dimpled.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I did DBA T2 slots with Bendix pads on the VS. They were a good improvement.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, the pads I picked up yesterday with the strut top mounts are good bendix .
More than likely will forget about modding brakes and go with option 1 which I'm sure will still notice and should absolutely be an improvement on where the brakes are at this point in time. If I go option 1 might add braided lines as well .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When I head to Adelaide in Oct i am going to get a set of better quality rotors from Car Parts Plus as they are the cheapest i have seen anywhere. Im really happy with the HPX. Brakes Direct a JC sponsor sell them and reckoned they are a fair bit better than Bendix. I am yet to get rear braided lines. They are on the list for later this year hopefully. But I need rear rotors and pads and the calipers will need an overhaul. Chances are i need shoes as well. So braided rears might not happen this year, unless the boss takes another two weeks leave before I need to buy parts. Id like slotted on the front but the cost is 4 or 5 times what i can get a decent set of RDAs for. Although I haven't got a price from Car Parts Plus on slotted, just going by what other JC members have paid.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I sold some stock VS calipers on gumtree earlier this year and the guy said they were for an upgrde on his 60's Mustang :confused:
I should have charged him more :mad:

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Stock doesnt save lives?

Youve got to waste 500 bucks on upgrades before youre safe?

Then next week when a granny drives into your side and writes off your car you be like fk should spent the 500 on on my family instead of the stupid car lol

But all gone now bye 500

We're all being conned to invest into get better and waste money including me but stock is outstanding enough else wouldnt holden and repco be sued

But yes hpx is prob a tad better than silverline

Just like how asics are likely better than target shoes :)