Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buzzboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore Acclaim
Wow, this is a very different experience from my last few cars... now I'm suffering from an overload of information... looking for something a bit more specific now...

I've just bought a VS Acclaim, and for financial reasons I'll be putting it on gas as soon as possible... I've been looking at the Supercat cat back exhaust systems on ebay (from what I can find I like the subdued note of them), but I'm curious as to what sort of effect running on gas will have on the exhaust note...

I'm not really interested in a whole bunch of expensive performance mods, but I'd like a bit more of a 'note' to it, but nothing obscenely loud... any ideas?

I've also read something about needing a 'rear camber kit' when fitting gas (I have IRS and a sedan if that matters)... but can't find any further info, it'd be great if anyone could shed some light on that one too!

Cheers.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
It will love it.
Also recommend getting a set of extractors.

The exhaust note shouldn't really change all that much from gas to petrol.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
The exhaust should sound a bit meatier with LPG from what I have experienced.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Will it be dual fuel or dedicated LPG?

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
It should sound the same from petrol to gas......

With my car, on gas it sounds the same till about 4000ish then it doesnt get much louder.... On petrol it just keeps getting louder till the red line.....
Note doesn't change, just how loud it gets...... I dont know why that happens.

buzzboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore Acclaim
Definately dual fuel... can't afford to run out, I'm not really too close to a filling station for it if I do, and I don't fancy raiding the bbq for gas!

Any ideas on the weight/ camber kit thing? it's been suggested by a friend that it might be more of an issue for a lowered car (which we're not doing), but it was also hinted that it may be necessarry because of the extra weight of the gas tank...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Wouldn't worry too much about the camber kit.

With the exhaust, the more free flowing the better on gas, but petrol needs better gas velocity. In simple terms, you won't get a system that will work on both petrol and gas, so I would do the system to suit petrol. It will be adequate for gas. But if you build it to suit gas, it will chew through petrol like you have a hole in the tank.

Having said that, the system I would recommend is extractors, standard Y pipe and cat, cut the rear muffler out and fit a hotdog, cut the front muffler out and fit a straight through glass packed muffler. Leave it as 2 1/4", it will perform better than going to 2 1/2".

If yours is still the factory system, then it will have two mufflers on the front and go back to single at the rear. Get rid of it and fit an aftermarket standard exhaust, they have a single front muffler.