Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs gear box problem

scoota72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr with ecotec
Hi all, i have a vr ute with an ecotec engine and the turbo 700 box auto. i took it for along drive on the weekend and if felt like it was slipping in overdrive. only did it once and then i noticed i had a bit of an oil leak on the fitting from the radiator. so i checked the oil level and it was fine but the oil is brown any ideas on what it would be? box was only service a month ago replacing the oil and filter?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The brown colour is not a good sign - also the leak at the radiator could indicate the trans oil cooler is leaking internally...if coolant mixes with trans oil (thru the cooler) that will also be bad. If the service was done at a transmission shop then take it back although it probably is not related to the work they did to your trans....probably just worn out.
Doesn't sound too good.

scoota72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr with ecotec
I even checked the fault codes today and they came back with no problems. it has me buggered what it is?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
From your description either the Torque converter clutch is slipping or coolant is contaminating the transmission oil thru a split in the trans oil cooler at the radiator. With the oil getting brown in a month whatever is failing is pretty major - worn bands/clutches which slip and then overheat will turn the oil brown and I think if coolant gets in the oil it degrades the oil which then cannot lubricate as well. The coolant can actually boil if present in sufficient quantities causing the oil to pump out of the fill/dipstick pipe.
If it was me, I wouldn't be planning any long drives.
Good Luck.