Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Gear change timings

waffles666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II v6 3.8L
You will have to forgive me im a complete newbie with cars, my problem is I just bought an Auto VS V6 and the gear change timings seem very weird. When i am in economical mode and i put my foot right to the floor it revs very high before changing gears however if i take my foot of the accelerator at about 2500-3000 revs it changes just fine as if im pushing the engine to hard for it to change. When in power mode this happens far less (the gears appear to change far more aggressively) but it still sometimes does the same thing and just generally feels like the gear box is all over the place but its almost always smooth with maybe a slight jolt moving from 1-2 but nothing that seems unusual. I have driven a number of FORD automatics and have never seen this lag in timings is this just a HOLDEN thing? I recently had it serviced and a lot of work done and he made no comment on this at all (forgot to ask). If this is normal would a performance ECU make things better? Seems there is a lot of stage/level four's (whatever that means) going for about $100.

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
you need to fulsh the fluid and change the filter this will fix it

my gearbox nearly snaps your head off it has had two filters the first fixed it now i need the a new gearbox i cooked it

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
your trying to get the most pick up as possible by holding your foot flat obviously.. so the trans will hold its gear alot longer than usual to use all possible power.. its ment to be like that and every automatic acts the same..

shift points are set on the computer, if you dont like it revving out so far.. get your foot out of it its simple lol

stage "4" is basically a fully manualised box, will go into any gear any time and you have to select each gear manually..

stage 2 is the most common as it eliminates slip between gears feeling alot sharping and crisper changing, so much so in some fit ments the car will "chirp" into 2nd gear

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
yea but the snap in changes is not meant to be there

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
You will have to forgive me im a complete newbie with cars, my problem is I just bought an Auto VS V6 and the gear change timings seem very weird. When i am in economical mode and i put my foot right to the floor it revs very high before changing gears however if i take my foot of the accelerator at about 2500-3000 revs it changes just fine as if im pushing the engine to hard for it to change. When in power mode this happens far less (the gears appear to change far more aggressively) but it still sometimes does the same thing and just generally feels like the gear box is all over the place but its almost always smooth with maybe a slight jolt moving from 1-2 but nothing that seems unusual. I have driven a number of FORD automatics and have never seen this lag in timings is this just a HOLDEN thing? I recently had it serviced and a lot of work done and he made no comment on this at all (forgot to ask). If this is normal would a performance ECU make things better? Seems there is a lot of stage/level four's (whatever that means) going for about $100.

he said its always smooth

waffles666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II v6 3.8L
Cheers

Cheers for the quick replies the mechanic did say it needed a flush so its good to hear that, seems like a simple fix and looks like im not looking for a stage four i can't think of anything more annoying then having to change gears manually with the auto setup so i might pickup a stage 2 there going very cheap on ebay and the like.

Can't say iv seen this helpful a community on the web for quite some time:)