Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Getting hot - electrical problem?

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
hi, i have a VS series 2 Berlina and just recently had some work done and from time to time the temp goes over 3/4 and the light/warning beep comes on. Its got a new radiator,cap,thermostat,full flush, heads shaved & new head gaskets,manifold gaskets etc and the thermos are working fine. all the work was done by a reputable mechanic, the only thing i can think of is like maybe a sensor or something but really have no idea, anyone?

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
My vp done the same thing with head work, I ran a top notch coolant and a Craig Davis thermo switch and a cooler thermo stat, run ur thermo on straight power and see if the temp comes down, if not it could be ur gauge, or the temp sender, mine was the sensor

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS BT1 SS 5ltr original
Do you get any fault codes?

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
HA! ive owned my vs for 2 years and replaced every cooling peice that i can. hoses. about 4 or 5 thermostats. radiator. radiator cap all hoses to overflow bottle both coolant temp sensors just incase. replaced the gauge. heater hoses. heater tap. u name it...ive changd it and it still does it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When the warning beep comes on, are both fans running...and under what conditions does this occur, like uphill, traffic? Does the engine ever actually boil with coolant ejected from the overflow tank?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
+1 sensor
OR stuck thermostat as that was alot of work done could be some shitte stuck in it ( but not likely if was reputable mechanic)
speaking of which did you ask the reputable mechanic too fix his work
?
he should under australian law if its paid with recipet from a buisiness!~

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yea guys got to the bottom of it last night, was the brand new thermostat wasnt opening properly, cut the guts out of it (spring n crap) works fine now.Both speeds of the fan were working fine and thankfully i live pretty close to everything so i only really noticed it a few times. It would mainly occur after i stop driving, run in to a shop to grab something then come back start up the car and the warning light would almost instantly come on same as the thermos and temp guage straight to 3/4+ bottom hose was cool and top hose boiling hot. so the radiator is doing its thing, plenty of flow so pump is fine...was a process of elimination.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You should get another new thermostat for it as soon as you can,the engine needs a proper working thermostat to keep it running at its operating temperature,otherwise it will run too cold which causes engine wear,poor fuel economy and bad running.Basically the ECU thinks the engine is cold and makes it run richer than it should.Years ago,you could throw the thermostat away and not run one at all.A lot of 1980's cars with the automatic chokes that ran off the engine coolant temp put a stop to that,if the coolant was too cold,the choke stayed on,and its basically the same today still with EFI and engine management.

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
^^^^^^+1 car runs alot better with correct thermostat working properly

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
need a thermostat in Queensland? thermostats only really effective in the first 5 mins of driving, right?. so long as the temp gauge sits on 1/4-1/2 cant see there being a problem