Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Grinding sound from passenger front wheel

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Hey guys

Rego is coming up and I have a horrible screeching/ grinding sound from my front left wheel it gets slightly worse when the brakes are slowly applied, however the brakes still stop pretty well, it is most noticeable around 30-60km/h.

In addition when slowly reversing the back wheels make a humming noise like the brakes are still slightly held on but will still roll without having to accelerate.

Would the problem be brake pads, calibers or discs? visually looking I cant tell, any help would be appreciated as I would like to fix the problem before taking it for a pink slip.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
If they were right down to bare metal he wouldn't have any brake pressure. Could be a wheel bearing or your vacuum plate is rubbing against the rotor.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Are you Fu@&ing serious ?????? It only takes one pad to be worn to metal to make noise, and the brakes will still function properly.

If they were right down to bare metal he wouldn't have any brake pressure. Could be a wheel bearing or your vacuum plate is rubbing against the rotor.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes, check the brake pads, I would say one is down to metal.

And no, you won't lose brake pressure if the pads wear down to metal.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
pads still look ok however I noticed there is no backing plate on the pads the piston pushes directly on the rear of the pad, I thought there was a backing plate that sat between the pad and piston.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Ummmm when my dads pads worn down to metal he had no pressure. Was fine when he replaced them.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ummmm when my dads pads worn down to metal he had no pressure. Was fine when he replaced them.

99% of the time if a pad is down to the metal,it will still have good brake pedal pressure.I just fixed this exact same problem the other day,the right front pads were down to the metal and starting to make a noise.The only thing I notice when the pads get to the end of their life is the brake pedal gets a slightly longer travel.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I noticed there cheap pads when I had a look at them, firepower so I think I will replace them either way and hope that it stops. What is a good set of pads for front and rear, might as well do all of them.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I used AcDelco's. Thats what my local dealer(holden) stocks, and puts on out of warranty cars. They are quiet and dont squeel.