Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Handbrake Button I'm stumped???

Mike67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
The handbrake button on my VS popped off while I was vacuuming the front. Spring flew out and the steel rod that comes up the middle of the lever dropped down. Searched the problem and have done what others have posted but the steel rod will not come up the whole way so I can put the button back on. With a heap of effort I have got it about 25mm from the top. What am I doing wrong ???? Any help most appreciated.

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon 3.8 & VS Sedan Manual 3.8
So are you saying the steel rod sits 25 mm in from the end of the handbrake lever? If so this is normal. Rod (as you may have found in your searchs) is lifted up by puting a finger up under the slot beneath the lever (should just be able to touch it, easier with the rear console removed from memory) once lined up properly, poping the button back on should not be an issue.

Mike67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks for that. I've removed the console to make it easier to get at. I guess you mean the long slot that runs the length of the level underneath. I had to use pliers and pull the rod up as far as I have got it. The button is 22mm long and the rod is still 25mm down which means it still is not high enough. Is there anything that could be causing the rod to jam. Cheers and once again any help much appreciated.

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I am going to have to have a look at mine later on, but just a thought... The plastic handle itself hasn't perhaps moved forward?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
As above, the plastic handle can slip forwards on these. Mine does it.

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok had another look at mine... If you look in the hole where the button goes, the plastic handle (the peice you hold when you pull handbrake on) has a depth of 1.5 mm or so of plastic, this then sits flush against the end of the metal body of the handbrake lever, is there perhaps a gap here? If not your problem is at the other end of the rod. The other end sits against a spring loaded cam with teeth on it, this in turn engages teeth on the handbrake lever. Can you pull up the handbrake, does it click? Can you release it by pushing on the rod? Because it is possible the metal rod has either moved off the cam... Or the cam has fallin out.

Mike67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Yep thanks very much. That was exactly what had happened. The rod had fallen off the cam. I couldnt see how it worked until you asked does it click. Once again many thanks...all fixed other than putting the console back tomorrow.

Tman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
Ok had another look at mine... If you look in the hole where the button goes, the plastic handle (the peice you hold when you pull handbrake on) has a depth of 1.5 mm or so of plastic, this then sits flush against the end of the metal body of the handbrake lever, is there perhaps a gap here? If not your problem is at the other end of the rod. The other end sits against a spring loaded cam with teeth on it, this in turn engages teeth on the handbrake lever. Can you pull up the handbrake, does it click? Can you release it by pushing on the rod? Because it is possible the metal rod has either moved off the cam... Or the cam has fallin out

Tman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs
Hi did you sort it I'm having same problem with rod when pulling handbrake completely out there was a spring not the handbrake button sitting in the bottom were does this go anyone know please