Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Handbrake Warning Light and Sound

Piggers5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Hey everyone,

New to the forums, I have owned my VS Commodore Acclaim for about 6 months now and am VERY happy with it :)

However one issue has recently occured which I can't seem to fix. When driving along, the handbrake light remains on and it warns me with an audible noise when I hit 20km.

It used to only happen very occasionally, now I can't put the handbrake down and take off without it "warning" me. I have searched through these great forums and found some possible answers, but none of them seem to resolve the problem in my case.

I have checked the brake fluid, which was suggested in one thread. Now unless I'm looking at the wrong container in the engine bay, it appears almost full.

In terms of driving, nothing seems to have changed since I bought it. It still handels very well and takes off and stops as normal.

I am really at a loss as to what is causing the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Welcome to the forum.
Probable cause is the handbrake warning switch is either misadjusted or the wire has come off. Another possible is a coin has dropped down there the handbrake is located and stops it fully returning. This switch is located down the bottom of the handbrake lever.

Good luck.

Piggers5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Hey,

Thanks for your help Hako! Do you have any suggestions as to the best way to access the switch?

Thanks!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check in the "How to" section of this forum on istalling a head unit or stereo - it gives instructions in pulling up the cover that goes around the handbrake - in brief you remove the ashtray and pull up the cover but try and find the 'how to' (I'm short on time...sorry)
Disconnect your main battery first so you don't short anything ....make sure you have radio code first!

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Just so you know, the brake fluid is for your foot brake only. The handbrake is simply a lever that pulls on a cable connected to "shoes" at the rear wheels. Good luck with it.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
you think you have problems, my handbreak wont engage and beeps at me when i pull it up at 80kmph

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
why would you pull it up at 80kph? dont like living or something?

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
as mentioned, warning switch is bent or worn

when the handbrake is down, it sits on the switch and deactivates the warning light... get in there and sort it out

Last edited: