Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Handbrake Warning Light and Sound

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
nah i jest, i did try it at about 30 once just to see if it would lockup but it did as described ... must have some sort of anti-moron device enabled.

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
the beeping comes from the speed alert. they are suppossed to beep when they are on.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
the beeping comes from the speed alert. they are suppossed to beep when they are on.

dude, its not the speed alert thats beeping. Have you heard the handbrake warning beep?

Try to drive off with your handbrake on and see what happens.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0

The audible alarm for the handbrake comes from the dash cluster no matter whether it is L2 or L3 cluster. The speed alert has nothing to do with handbrake as far as I know.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
no anti moran device as its operated by a cable

its got something , in drive if i try and go anywhere it holds the car firmly in place.... should do something besided just beep at me at 30ks an hour.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
personally I find the easiest way to actually get at the switch is to remove the actual center console completly.

remove the ashtray, pull the cover off from around the shifter,undo the three screws securing the center console to the center of the dash, empty the center console compartment, lift the carpet inside, undo the two 10mm? nuts.

Oh I nearly forgot, remove the white surround from the shifter and well everything else, its a few screws and a couple of looms to unplug, then jiggle the console out of the way.

I had this problem on my car, the working space wzas tight but I managed to get sme pointy nose pliers in there.

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
The audible alarm for the handbrake comes from the dash cluster no matter whether it is L2 or L3 cluster. The speed alert has nothing to do with handbrake as far as I know.

no disrespect intended... but im pretty sure it comes from the speed alert.

i have mine unplugged now and the "audible" noise doesnt come on...(and fuel light doesnt either) but when i plug it in the sound comes on when pulling the handbrake on after 20km/h
and the fuel light comes on when starting the car........go try it....

i thought it was weird too but...yeah....

Unplugged = No Noise and No Fuel Light
Plugged in = Audible Noise and fuel light.

98% sure it is coming from the speed alert unless without the speed alert it disable's the sound...

sydsider66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
Just disconnect the little yellow wire that powers the handbrake light/alarm for a quick fix.Its next to the shift under the console.Mine had a 20 cent coin jammed into the base of the handbrake lever and it wasnt coming down fully to engage the switch.Thanks Hako once again.Had to take the console out to access it.Tommorrow im gonna take the handbrake lever off to get the bloody coin out.Impossible to get the coin out without removing it.Hope that helps.