Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs headlight switch in vp

C

customute

Hi i put a vs dash in a vp and i'm having a bit a trouble to rewire the headlight
switch as mine got 4 wire : white/black, braun, black and otange/white.
Which is wires matching on the vs switch light ? As they are more wires and different colors.Thanx for the help

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Basically the difference is that the vp headlight switch has 2 individual switch contacts.One switches a positive and the other switches a negative
The first one switches the orange/white (positive 12v from fuse 1) to make with the brown(fuse 16 and tail/interior lights) It has all the current going straight through this set of contacts and so doesn't use a relay for the park int lamps function.
The second comes from the white/black (dip/flash switch on the column) to make with the black (body earth) to switch the headlight relays.
The vs headlight switch switches 2 negatives to operate 2 different relays for the same functions.
Here's how I would do it but you need a additional relay.

Attachments

• vp to vs lightswitch.JPG
    vp to vs lightswitch.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 6,927
Last edited:
C

customute

customute said:
Hi i put a vs dash in a vp and i'm having a bit a trouble to rewire the headlight
switch as mine got 4 wire : white/black, braun, black and otange/white.
Which is wires matching on the vs switch light ? As they are more wires and different colors.Thanx for the help
thanx a lot for that

bass_master

BASYVL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina, calais lookalike
if you need to find out wether 1 wirer is + and the other is - get a flat batt and i mean really flat so it only just lights the head light then put 1 wire on = and the other 1's on - untill the light lights up
it should be the 2 fatter wires
and the brown wire is ground most if the time
it's a dodgy way of doing it but it works

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Basically the difference is that the vp headlight switch has 2 individual switch contacts.One switches a positive and the other switches a negative
The first one switches the orange/white (positive 12v from fuse 1) to make with the brown(fuse 16 and tail/interior lights) It has all the current going straight through this set of contacts and so doesn't use a relay for the park int lamps function.
The second comes from the white/black (dip/flash switch on the column) to make with the black (body earth) to switch the headlight relays.
The vs headlight switch switches 2 negatives to operate 2 different relays for the same functions.
Here's how I would do it but you need a additional relay.
Hi i take it that this diagram work to the VN loom as i have done up a VH with V6, auto etc as well as the full VN loom but i am running a VR/S head light switch. the problem i am getting is that when i wire up the VN loom to the VR/S switch i get the high and parks working but the lows seem to stay on, even if the VR/S switch is turned on or off, i have tried several ways around this but still run into the problem or i blow the fuse i have heard that the VN/P (much the same between the two models) and the VR/S (much the same again between the two) have difference in + and - switching.
I will try your way and fingers crossed will get the correct outcome and if i do i am so glad i found this thread and thank you cheers

Last edited:

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hi guys just a quick message to markovr concerning that wire diagram for vs to vp light switch. I am in the process of putting a series one VN V6 and auto into a VH commy and i am stuck on the headlight switch, i am running the whole VN wire loom front to back and have added a few parts from later model commodores including using a VR/S headlight switch. i can get everything to work but the problem is that the low beam stay on constatly, i have looked at the diagram you did up and would like to confirm what wires on the added relay you joined into the new wire from point 85, the orange/white wire from point 86 and 87 and the brown wire from 30. What are the colors of the wires on the VR/S loom that need to be mated. This constant low beam is getting to me i am not totally in the know with wiring but i do try and most of the time work things out but this i cant.
Any help please cheers mate thanks.

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
Maybe switches are big projects and he doesnt see fit to post it under electrical.. maybe the pub section would be appropriate...

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Hi guys just a quick message to markovr concerning that wire diagram for vs to vp light switch. I am in the process of putting a series one VN V6 and auto into a VH commy and i am stuck on the headlight switch, i am running the whole VN wire loom front to back and have added a few parts from later model commodores including using a VR/S headlight switch. i can get everything to work but the problem is that the low beam stay on constatly, i have looked at the diagram you did up and would like to confirm what wires on the added relay you joined into the new wire from point 85, the orange/white wire from point 86 and 87 and the brown wire from 30. What are the colors of the wires on the VR/S loom that need to be mated. This constant low beam is getting to me i am not totally in the know with wiring but i do try and most of the time work things out but this i cant.
Any help please cheers mate thanks.
like this
lightswitch-4.jpg

Last edited: