Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Holden power steering (and other problems) 14 point check

Hackerkrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
Hi Guys,

So I have a 1996 Holden Commodore VS and recently took it to Pedders and got a 14point check because the power steering was making a grinding noise. Car has come back home and has failed quite a few things, the overall cost is quite expensive for parts and labour.
Found Repco has parts that are a lot cheaper, so my father and I are going to see what we may be able to do by ourselves.
The power steering low pressure hose is leaking, I found another thread https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/power-steering-pump-removal-installation-vn-vp.73194
but this is about a vn-vp, a few years older than my car.
Just curious to know if anyone knows if the lower pressure hose is the same in the vs, as the above picture in this thread?
And any good tips to removing and installing the hose?

The car also failed the inner tie rods, lower control arm and inner bushes, bump stops (boots split), and the rear shocks are leaking. If anyone can help with any information on fixing these problems (how to's and such), it would help alot.

Cheers

yoshi87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
im pretty sure that the removal of hte lower pressure hose is as easy as the vn/vp i got a vr and it seems the same, jsut make sure u remove all teh power steering fluid before replacing the hose,

the rear shocks are easy to remove, all u have to do is remove the bolt that its connected to on the dif and inside the boot, if its a wagon there is 2 covers in the back compartment jsut a few cms from the back of teh seat, if its a sedan they are on the wheel arch which has a black cap over the top, jsut remove that and the shocvks will come out, fitting is the opposite to teh removal

inner bushes are a bit more fun, depending where they are they might need to be pressed out, tie rod ends are simple, remove the split pin, remove the castle nut, then remove old tie rod end, refit new tie rod end and make sure the nut is done up tight, place a new split pin in and then take the car to be wheel aligned,

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
hey mate just wondering how much the 14 point check was?
also the replacement of the hose on the VS is very simple did it to my ute earlier this year. but now she's got a few other little problems like a tie rod end and possibly a buggered wheel bearing but oh well thats what you get with old cars.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Edited, Re-read

Hackerkrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Accliam
Thanks for your help, Shooter88 the 14 point check was $14 and takes about an hour, it just lists all the suspension and whether Pedders believes they fail or not. Going somewhere else for another opionion is going to happen this week.

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
thanks mate i didnt think it was to expensive, but i recon ill go to some where else besides pedders cause they over price every thing there, got priced on 1 new lower trailing arm and fitting for $200 bucks when i found a set of 2 new trailing arms and bushes for $99.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
+1 for going somewhere other than pedders, ideally someone u know and trust. for a second opinion

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
just wondering whats the prob with pedders? never been anywhere other than my long time mechanic for anything (he did my front shocks years ago) but now i want a major overhaul of my suspension system an need to know where to take it as my mechanic doesnt want to do it (too busy) so need to know if i should rule out pedders?