Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS HSV Automatic ride height adjuster?? wtf?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Hey guys, something just reminded me of something my mechanic told me a while ago. He reckons on my VS Senator, it has something like an automatic ride height adjusting system or some crap like that, and when i jack it up to avoid it automatically adjusting the ride height, i should pull the pin on the compressor that's under the car somewhere.

Wtf is that? Never heard of it on early model HSV's, i thought it was something on later model Holdens / HSV's etc.

Anyone shed some light on this, or is my mechanic just getting old and seenile? :D

5ivespeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Manual
we had an old fairlane that had standard air bag suspension. and it used to adjust itself to a certain ride height. it was an ed model equivalent fairlane.(i dont know what those were called)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Toms Senator sig has it, and i know for a fact VR Clubby wagons and VS Manta wagons get it, not sure about sedans tho.

Its just called self leveling suspension.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Hmmmm, am i right in saying the compressor (if it has one) is located around the back of the diff housing somewhere?

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
it was (afaik) an option on models with IRS. it basically uses pump up air shocks to raise the rear end when it is under load ie. towing, full boot etc.
commonly found on the statesmans and caprices in the VR/S range, but obviously HSV must have had some installed as well. as to where the compressor is located, i have no idea, but around the rear end would sound about right. ill see if i can dig up some more info on them
CC

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I've recently installed Level Ride to my WH but I reckon the components will be in the same place on a VS. The compressor is at the rear on the passenger side, sort of up beside the diff. The height sensor is on the driver's side with one part connected to the control arm and the main part of the sensor is bolted to the chassis. I think your mechanic meant for you to disconnect the sensor when jacking up your car. Pull the link thing that goes to the control arm off.
If you have level ride suspension I'm surprised you haven't heard the compressor cutting in (or mine might be excessively noisy) or noticed the air shocks.

Attachments

• Ride height sensor.jpg
    Ride height sensor.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,723
Last edited:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Awesome thanks guys! Been a huge help!!

I'll get under it and have a look properley today, so drivers side beside the diff and around that area i should be looking? Can't say i have heard the compressor make any noise, i can hear the fuel pump buzz but that's about it when i turn the ignition on. Can't say i have heard any other noises out of the ordinary.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Awesome thanks guys! Been a huge help!!

I'll get under it and have a look properley today, so drivers side beside the diff and around that area i should be looking? Can't say i have heard the compressor make any noise, i can hear the fuel pump buzz but that's about it when i turn the ignition on. Can't say i have heard any other noises out of the ordinary.
The compressor is on the passenger's side and the sensor is on the driver's side. Just stick your head under and see if you have air shocks.
My compressor is pretty loud but I bought it second hand on ebay so I don't really know how much noise they should make.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Well i know i have Pedders shocks front, so if i have them on the rear, i realistically DON'T have the set up for the ride leveller in my car.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
utes have a ride leveler standard i think, i think the best benefit for this is if u have a think of fat chicks