Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS HSV Brake upgrade help needed

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
HSV Brake upgrade. Help needed

185 Senator with factory standard brakes, previous owner switched rotors & calipers to the VT, but never changed the master/booster.

always had a shitty pedal - assume from keeping VS setup.

flash forward, car has sat for a bit, get in, no pedal. get it sent off to workshop, and since I have to have the brakes fixed, I hand over the HSV 215 brakes I have here, supply the rotors, calipers and brackets.

workshop tells master is leaking - sounds about right for the behaviour.

So by my reckoning, HSV brakes get a refurb/reseal, and the standard master gets a rebuild, and everything should play nicely? Not so, master is still leaking, now I have workshop, & master cylinder rebuilder fighting about the issue.

every thing I have known and even to read the HSV service guide, says that the HSV upgrades are at a wheel level, and retains the standard booster & master.

someone back me up or tell me I'm wrong so we can move forward?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I can't comment directly. But when the standard front brakes on my wife's VS Clubsport were upgraded with 330ml rotors and AP Racing 4-piston calipers, there was no need to upgrade either the standard master cylinder or the booster. I would have expected that the HSV 215 brakes would also not have required any master cylinder/booster changes.

The HSV 215 brakes (called the "Premium Braking System") were available as an upgrade option on the Clubsport and some other models. I had previously driven with Calais V8 models - VN, VP and VS, and thought that the brakes were OK. So I didn't get the upgrade installed when I purchased the Clubsport. However, when I started racing my VS Calais I found that the brakes needed upgrading, and had the front rotors and AP Racing 4-piston calipers installed. I couldn't believe that the standard Clubsport brakes were so much worse by comparison, so had them installed on my wife's VS Clubsport as well.

Getting back to your problem, I would have expected that if the master cylinder is leaking, then the master cylinder has the problem. Do you know if the master cylinder was honed as part of the refurb? There is a note in the Holden VS Service Manual that it should not be honed. Personally, I would have purchased a new replacement.

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The HSV 4 pot callipers are a great upgrade. Get either Forza brake pads (bit dusty) or ceramic pads that are dearer but clean. Both are an improvement over standard pads. Have the callipers been overhauled? One day when you have to stop in a hurry you will appreciate the better brakes.

Regarding the leaking master cylinder, cut your losses and buy a new one. It doesn't look like you are going to get anywhere with either party. If you can't fit them yourself get someone else to fit them. Don't forget to tell your mates of your experience with the two outfits. Having said that I would be more inclined to blame the rebuilder.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I assume you’re talking about the early corvette 2 piston calipers. The 328mm version. If so I believe it’s a straight bolt on situation.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Got it sorted finally.

Master was refurbed, but it was the ABS module that failed. Replacing that had it sorted finally.

Just in time for club cruise with a couple of laps at the track.

IMG_6325.jpeg

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Gee that's a lovely looking car ! I nearly give my left nut for that, but sadly my Missus would be pissed off.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure you have decent brake pads. Standard pads won't last more than a couple of serious laps.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Make sure you have decent brake pads. Standard pads won't last more than a couple of serious laps.

its not used for serious track activities. this was a lunch & cruise with the HSV & HDT Owners.
It was 4 laps of the track, then a photo & then in for lunch. Not strenuous, no helmets suits etc required and car full of passengers if you wanted.