Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs ignition

David Tracey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8litre
how are we all
I need abit a help here guys I just got a brand new ignition barrel and switch and keys for my Ute . Everything has slipped into place so far but 1 ? What do I do with the new keys to get them to start her up?

Attachments

• B3299094-D997-4B66-B870-CE180C2DF6D9.png
    B3299094-D997-4B66-B870-CE180C2DF6D9.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 14

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Whoa ! this is not going to work with a VS as it requires the "reader" (metallic strips around the ignition) to come in contact with the key head that belongs to the ute and it's matching BCM (Body Control Module) The key that's come with this barrel set up will only work on a VN and VP that doesn't utilise the more advanced revolving code system.

What you will have to do is code this new barrel up to the original key which is a matter of taking all the original wafers out of the original broken barrel and fit them in the same sequence in the new barrel and then use the original key blade with the original key head. Alternatively you could take the new barrel out again and take it to a Locksmith and just get them to code it up to your original blade using new wafers. This would probably be the best method.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes i must say i looked at the pic and didn't think it would work but thought maybe i was missing something. You could turn off the VATS in the BCM but the key still needs to make contact with the ring or it will just be dead.

David Tracey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8litre
Whoa ! this is not going to work with a VS as it requires the "reader" (metallic strips around the ignition) to come in contact with the key head that belongs to the ute and it's matching BCM (Body Control Module) The key that's come with this barrel set up will only work on a VN and VP that doesn't utilise the more advanced revolving code system.

What you will have to do is code this new barrel up to the original key which is a matter of taking all the original wafers out of the original broken barrel and fit them in the same sequence in the new barrel and then use the original key blade with the original key head. Alternatively you could take the new barrel out again and take it to a Locksmith and just get them to code it up to your original blade using new wafers. This would probably be the

What you will have to do is code this new barrel up to the original key which is a matter of taking all the original wafers out of the original broken barrel and fit them in the same sequence in the new barrel and then use the original key blade with the original key head. Alternatively you could take the new barrel out again and take it to a Locksmith and just get them to code it up to your original blade using new wafers. This would probably be the best method.
I still have reader connection in my ute

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you've been supplied with a key blade and you've fitted that to your original electronic key head ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
well if you've fitted the blade to the key head it should all marry up and start the vehicle again.

Sorry but I'm not quite understanding what else we can be of help to you as it seems you've done everything that's expected from the job.