Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs ignition

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Whats the correct way to undo the shear bolt on a vs ignition switch the last time I changed an ignition switch on a vs the car was dunger so I covered up abit and got the mig out and tacked a bolt onto it so I could undo it , I would of bugised around for an hour b4 i tuned into bodge. This car has a nice inertia so bodge and the welder can't come out ,its a hundred miles away what should I take with me to undo the shear bolt

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You could take a cold chisel, or solid flat bladed screw driver and hammer.....

The way I removed shear bolts on other make ignition switches was to make a slight notch on the end of the bolt and with a screw driver and/or cold chisel in the notch, hit it in the direction a bolt would undo....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Pretty much the same as I've done except I use a very sharp centre punch to dig into the bolt head and use a small hammer and tap it in an anti-clockwise direction. It doesn't take much to undo it.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I all ready put the cold chisels and centre punch In the car i changed the bmc on the thing a while ago now the ignition is gone apparently , the old uncle cant get the shear bolt out.
It doesn't take much to undo it.
I like your confidence you and vc would of both laughed very loudly the last time when I turned into bodge it was 8 years ago and I still remember it was my ex's car and all I wanted her to go was go away at the time anyway this car isn't a mobile ashtray so lets hope I can undo it without to much industrial swearing. The good part is I know once I drive it Ill end up bringing it back to the workshop and doing tyres and brakes and what ever else we find it probably hasn't been on a hoist in 10 years

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I all ready put the cold chisels and centre punch In the car i changed the bmc on the thing a while ago now the ignition is gone apparently , the old uncle cant get the shear bolt out.

I like your confidence you and vc would of both laughed very loudly the last time when I turned into bodge it was 8 years ago and I still remember it was my ex's car and all I wanted her to go was go away at the time anyway this car isn't a mobile ashtray so lets hope I can undo it without to much industrial swearing. The good part is I know once I drive it Ill end up bringing it back to the workshop and doing tyres and brakes and what ever else we find it probably hasn't been on a hoist in 10 years

Nah, wouldn't have laughed at you bodging things to get the end result required.....Might have laughed at you wanting to move the ex on quickly though :D