Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS II Turn Signal Indicators do not work

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS2 Statesman V6 Not Supercharged
I have a 1997 Holden Statesman with a V6 normally aspirated engine.

The Turn indicators suddenly stopped working entirely. The actions taken to rectify this have been to replace the stalk indicator arm; replace the flasher unit and check the wiring to the stalk; and check all the fuses. All this resulted in no improvement.

The symptoms are:

1.The Emergency flasher works normally with all the lights flashing.

2. After resetting the Body Control Module (BCM), the theft deterant alert indicator functions but immediately the ignition is switched ON and the Turn Indicator is used, the alert indicator ceases to flash even though the emergency flashes normally.

3. A few months ago, all the orange indicator bulbs were replaced because their colouring had burnt off.

Any suggestions to find a solution would be more than welcomed.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Try operating the Hazard Flasher control button numerous times vigorously in and out and see if that corrects it as this button is known to be a source of indicator problems from time to time as it's not used on a daily basis thus the contacts inside the switch oxidise and break the electrical circuit path to the indicators rendering them useless.

Last edited:

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try operating the Hazard Flasher control button numerous times vigorously in and out and see if that corrects it as this button is known to be a source of problems from time to time.
Thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate your prompt response.
Unfortunately, after several tries, the old problem remains. The Hazard Flasher operated smoothly and turn the power on and off timely.
I also am a fan of the VS and have owned mine for over 15 years. Plenty of legroom and loads of comfort for long trips.
Jim

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
could be the flasher relay in the fuse panel under the steering wheel or in the stalk/switch on the column

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
could be the flasher relay in the fuse panel under the steering wheel or in the stalk/switch on the column
Thanks Stick3,
I have replaced both the flasher relay and the turn indicator stalk and have seen no improvement.
The original Flasher unit was Hella P/N 4DB003750-37and the replacement is Tridon P/N EP35/FET13.The only discernable difference was that between terminals 31 and 49a, Hella registered 5210 ohms and the Tridon 19700 ohms. I believe that both Hella and Tridon relays should do the job.
Thanks for your response and suggestion. Unfortunately the problem remains.
Kind regards,
Jim

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A few cars can not use after market relays. I'd try another original one even from a wreck, although new genuine will still be cheap.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Did it happen around the same time as using your wipers?

Used to be pretty common for the wiper motor to fall apart. Indicators and wipers are on the same fuse.

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
A few cars can not use after market relays. I'd try another original one even from a wreck, although new genuine will still be cheap.
Thanks, losh1971,
I'll try another flasher unit and try for a Hella as per the original. I will let you know the outcome.
One of the spade terminals had a solder streak so that was why I suspected the Flasher.
Kind regards,
Jim

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride

Used to be pretty common for the wiper motor to fall apart. Indicators and wipers are on the same fuse.
Thanks,wamboin23,
I'll try another flasher unit and try for a Hella as per the original. I will let you know the outcome.
One of the spade terminals had a solder streak so that was why I suspected the Flasher.
Kind regards,
Jim

Jim Charlesworth

Reaction score
Members Ride

Hi iosh

Hi wamboin23,
Sorry for my mistake on the last reply.
No it did nothappen when I used the wipers. It was on a very hot and sunny day.
I will try another Flasher unit and let you know.
Kind regards,
Jim