Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] VS III Column Shift to T-Bar conversion

ozrockracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute Series III
As the title suggest...I am interested in doing a T-Bar conversion on my VS III Ute.

Currently it is Column Auto, and I am wondering what is needed, and if anyone else has done this conversion and knows of any pitfalls or things that will be a PITA when doing the job.

I have already worked out that the Centre console doesnt match with the dash and I will need to obtail the steel rails from a VR/VS Dash, the centre section at least to change the postion of the heater/AC & stereo and to be able to marry up the console properly to the rest of the dash.

Obviously the air conditioning ducting will be able to be ignored as there is no back seat area to worry about, so that is a plus.

The neutral safety switch on a regular VS is mounted on the floor near the shifter, but on the Series III Ute it is already mounted to the gearbox (like the VT) so one more thing to not need doing and the linkages are on the LHS of the box as well, so they should line up with the shifter as well.

I am more interested in whether the floor pan is pre-marked with the template for the hole needed to drop the shifter into and whether the floor is also marked for the Handbrake lever to be mounted in the centre. At present the Handbrake is down the RHS near the drivers seat. The RHS door card will also need changing to add the Door Pocket and speaker pod like most VR?VS sedans already have, the Ute has the Speaker pod only on the RHS, the LHS is normal.

Any info that you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

ozrockracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute Series III
Anyone have any answers on this...

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
mate had a crack at it on a series 2 ute, everything was pretty straight forward, from memory there is covers over the holes the original shifter position and the hand brake cable is just extended, everything else lines up though.

quick tip though... don't do it, 3 seater utes are so much more wanted then the 2 seater, another mate had one, he had people coming from everywhere trying out bid each other on it.. all country people, resale value is much better