Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS III S ute - 14.5L/100Klms: Help!!!!!!

vsute79

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS III S ute
Help.

I have a 1999 Commodore VSIII S pack auto ute (3.8L) with 94 000 klms on it. It is currently burning 14.5L/100klms. Which is killing me given the disgraceful fuel prices, I am sadly looking at getting rid of it for an oil burner. It has just had a major service and is still burning too much fuel. I drive it in city/highway conditions and dont thrash it, cant work it out. Need some help b4 going back to the mechanic and throwing more money at him. The A/C button is currently stuck so whenever i use the heater the A/C is on, but i dont think this should use an extra 3-3.5L/100klms.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers. :bang::rip:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Help.

I have a 1999 Commodore VSIII S pack auto ute (3.8L) with 94 000 klms on it. It is currently burning 14.5L/100klms. Which is killing me given the disgraceful fuel prices, I am sadly looking at getting rid of it for an oil burner. It has just had a major service and is still burning too much fuel. I drive it in city/highway conditions and dont thrash it, cant work it out. Need some help b4 going back to the mechanic and throwing more money at him. The A/C button is currently stuck so whenever i use the heater the A/C is on, but i dont think this should use an extra 3-3.5L/100klms.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers. :bang::rip:

Have you run injector cleaner though it?

The O2 sensor may not be working properly - does the car have any error codes at all?

Cheech

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
isnt that about right ? lol im burning about that much too @____@... does that mean i gotta sus my VSII ute out too ??

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
O2 sensors on the way out, replace fuel filter, check tyre pressure, idler pulleys worn out causing drag, injectors partly blocked so its pumping more fuel in to regulate it, auto slipping..

could be any number of things, or just 1 thing thats causing most of it. whats been done to it lately? what figures do u get from it on long trips alone? what figures do u get city driving alone?

ianf

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS 'S' Utility
Get used to it ace, I have the same ute, 99S ute with the 3.8 V6 and if I can get 300K's out of a tank around town I'm laughing!!!, and i do not flog it by any means. For some reason they just love a drink?, I also have an XR8 ute and it is heaps better on fuel,
I also asked about getting it on the gas but was told that this model tend to have problems when converted so I'm bugged if I know?, sorry...

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Get used to it ace, I have the same ute, 99S ute with the 3.8 V6 and if I can get 300K's out of a tank around town I'm laughing!!!, and i do not flog it by any means. For some reason they just love a drink?

Surly that cant be right. Dump a 5.0L in if thats what your getting. I'v got a 5.0L wagon getting better figures than that and it only does short trips that barely get the choke off.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Get used to it ace, I have the same ute, 99S ute with the 3.8 V6 and if I can get 300K's out of a tank around town I'm laughing!!!, and i do not flog it by any means. For some reason they just love a drink?, I also have an XR8 ute and it is heaps better on fuel,
I also asked about getting it on the gas but was told that this model tend to have problems when converted so I'm bugged if I know?, sorry...

but when a car gets to that amount of kms n starts to gradually drinks more fuel, 1 would say, well things need to be checked and replaced..

the VS engine, can be gased up same as a car, i think someones been spinning ****.

thorny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Berlina
i got a vsII berlina, done around 175k, burns about the same as yours. though mine is mostly city driving. on the highway it drops a few, maybe to 11-12. i have near new idlers, fuel filter, pumped tyres, injectors cleaned regularly. only thing i haven't done is replace O2 sensor.

Conn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 SS ute
i've got a vsII ute manual with 145000 km's, i don't know much but i think something is not right, i get approximately 400 - 450 km out of 50 litres. i drive mine harder than average as well