Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs III v8 gas conversion

Mrute

Unleash the torque
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III 5ltr 5spd Ute
Just wondering if anyone has made the switch to duel and can tell me whether its worth it, and differences in performance if possible, also do small mods such as CAI still make a diff after that?

And is the fuel costs worth it? Not sure how the ratio goes on such a car, but as fuel is 150 a litre it might be worth it with the rebate..... this has probably been asked a million times, so if anyone has a link as well.. lol, I havent been a member on this forum since 2006
Also is dedicated gas a better option? I know if you run out your in caca.
thanks

-Dave

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
direct injection or str8 gas is what id go with if i was convertin..
dont like "dual fuel" ..
direct injection apparently is same performance as petrol
and str8 gas apparently u gain power not sure but

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Yep, Gas has a higher octane rating (110 i think, but cant be sure)

DON'T get dual fuel, at all. If the V8 is too much to run, buy a getz.....

Mrute

Unleash the torque
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III 5ltr 5spd Ute
Hmm, you rekon you could get a rebate on a st8 convert, im guessing its gunna be bit lol.... It's not too bad now, im just wondering about the future, while the rebate is still on, i went through 50 last week travelling city to work, so thats not anything to complain about. Just might get more "enjoyment" on gas. I gota have a ute for work and i play in a band lol, otherwise a getz would be alrite, not much excitement though ;)

Mrute

Unleash the torque
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III 5ltr 5spd Ute
Not for a 20 year old with a beard and long hair.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
If you go with straight gas like the gas research setups with the gas throttle bodies,you can go wrong and you dont loose any power between the change over from petrol to fuel gass.With gas research it is metered alot better and the engine i tuned to suit.Also the best gas octane rating i have heard is around 125 and thats not stuf you buy from a servo,you can buy it at a gas provider and is much noticable when using it,the performance i mean.But gas research is much dearer than your gas standard setup.But if you are going to keep your V8 and dont want to pay the petrol prices i would suggest gas research.I have a friend with a VS stato 5L full rebuild with a mild cam,higger compression,twin gas research throttle bodies,no petrol just full gas,extractors exhaust (also i dont think he is running a cat because you dont need to on gas),yeah he does alot of towing in it and its pulls hard,no power loss,runs smooth,gets good mileage,and you dont smell that gas smell at all.The fuel tank has been removed for a custom fit and build of a gas tank fitted so he didnt loose much at al boot space.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Yes, the Q's have been asked but to save a search...

Q1: Why would you convert to gas?

A1: Either to save money or to circumvent emission regulations on a pre-2004 car. In this case we are discussing the former i.e. to save money.

Straight gas is a waste if the object is to save money.

Why?

Q2:What can you change to optimise the operation on LPG and available only on dedicated LPG, that doesn't cost any extra money over a dual fuel conversion?

A2:Nothing.

You can have a (two map) MemCal fitted that allows ignition timing to be optimised for operation on LPG whether the car is dual fuel or dedicated LPG. This will cost roughly the same in either case.

There are other reasons to go dual fuel. Dual fuel allows the car to start on petrol. Straight gas can require an extended period of cranking on start after the LPG in the manifold has dissipated or extra components to prevent it.

While superior in terms of reliability and ease of tuning, LPG injection generally isn't cost effective over a properly sorted vapour system. (Choose your installer carefully).

The (arguably - they both operate at stoichiometric mixtures) higher fuel consumption (= CO2 output) with a carb. system over gas injection is a matter of conscience, not bank account.

While more than one system can be made to work, there is a reason GMH used Impco components on the factory approved systems. (Probably because it was available off the shelf in the US but you know it can be made work at an OEM level).

Fuel consumption will be roughly 30% greater on LPG over petrol, unless you run the LPG at lean mixtures (illegal but hard to detect). You do the math on the savings vs the cost to convert.

CAI will still work with LPG.

The performance loss on even a carb. LPG conversion is barely noticeable.

Catalytic convertors must be retained and closed loop fuel control used on any post Jan 1986 LPG conversion.

Mrute

Unleash the torque
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III 5ltr 5spd Ute
Thanks for the replies, thats made it more clear for me, cheers.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I just got my Senator put on gas, 95 VS.
As cheap6 said the power difference between the two is 2 parts of stuff all.
You dont feel it.

As for milage, I havent had a full tank use yet, but our other car VXII S gets between 320 to 450ks per tank(55L usable) depending on trip distances.

The Senator has a 65L useable tank so im hoping for the same amount of ks.
I'd say go for it!!

And remember to all those people who bag LPG or u for having it, tell them its just a fuel and get over it. And also ur wallet will thank u!!!

Mrute

Unleash the torque
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III 5ltr 5spd Ute
is that duel or straight?