Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Immobiliser

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Hey guys, searched a bit but didnt find a definitive answer.
My keys been stuffing me around a bit, firstly central locking wasn't working, opened the key up to find the battery not clipped in (If you know what I mean lol) so clipped it in, works fine now.. even chucked a dab of superglue under it to hold it on.. But the immobliser (Pretty sure) problem has always happened and still is now.. I turn the key, wait a few seconds on ACC then turn it and it doesn't crank, with the immo. light still flashing.. So I just sit and keep putting key in and out and turning until it starts.. Sometimes been sitting doing this for about 15 mins..

Can anyone tell me what I should get looked at? The key or an immobliser component? I was thinking of maybe cleaning the immobliser contact part on the key and barrel would that help?

Any other help appreciated..
Max :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Are the two pieces of metal around the barrel making proper contact with the key? You might just have to bend them up slightly.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Also try pressing the unlock button on the key after it is in the ignition keyhole (before you turn to start). This usually makes it work quicker although it is no permanent fix. Mine has done this every now and then for the last 6 years.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
try starting it in neutral?

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Hey guys, yeah the metal is contacting.. Don't have a spare, only came with one.. after lots of looking like an idiot sitting in my car for 15 mins on the way to and from QLD, I have reached the conclusion that to start it i need to lock and unlock it using the key buttons... Seems to work every time now.. Is this normal lol?

1000Dollaspecial

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994VR
1994 vr

Hello, im new to this site and this car
I bought a $1000 special that really isent too bad just needs love and RWC
Have had an awesome day trying to get working keys for the thing mine are totaly rooted
I have looked about a little bit on bypassing the immobillser and have come to the conclusion
that there probedly is a way but your unlikily to get it out of commodore owners, from what
has been said to me from machanics is that it controls other stuff aswell. I used to start my
magna with a screw driver, that immobillser was disabeled on the side of the road in under
30 seconds by RACQ, so this perplexes me.
Also are you able to leave the keys in and Acc on for awhile and it will start?
someone also told me they got new keys from MR Mint type key shop you would find at the
shops and the car learns the new key, was a VS tho. I have another lock smith telling me to goto
Holden then he can do the key, cause mines dead.
I would like to just get rid of the immobillser and be done with it, save some cash and not have
to carry around the huge key thing, just the key itself.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hello, im new to this site and this car
I bought a $1000 special that really isent too bad just needs love and RWC
Have had an awesome day trying to get working keys for the thing mine are totaly rooted
I have looked about a little bit on bypassing the immobillser and have come to the conclusion
that there probedly is a way but your unlikily to get it out of commodore owners, from what
has been said to me from machanics is that it controls other stuff aswell. I used to start my
magna with a screw driver, that immobillser was disabeled on the side of the road in under
30 seconds by RACQ, so this perplexes me.
Also are you able to leave the keys in and Acc on for awhile and it will start?
someone also told me they got new keys from MR Mint type key shop you would find at the
shops and the car learns the new key, was a VS tho. I have another lock smith telling me to goto
Holden then he can do the key, cause mines dead.
I would like to just get rid of the immobillser and be done with it, save some cash and not have
to carry around the huge key thing, just the key itself.

You can bypass the immobiliser by leaving the ignition key in the ON position for 45 minutes.The red LED immobiliser light will stop flashing once its bypassed,it will then start.But once its turned off again,you will need to wait another 45 minutes before it will start again.Its basically a safety backup so you can start it and drive it to get it fixed.Mr minit and similar places need a working ignition key so they can copy it,or the security code specific to your vehicle.Holden can access this security code with your VIN,they then use this security code to program new keys with a tech 1 scantool.Most holden dealers charge a fair bit for this service, but if your current ignition key is completely f****d,then you dont have much choice really.

1000Dollaspecial

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994VR
Thanks for the infomation at least i can tell the machanic that now, he said that wasent true. if i dont get new keys to him by tomorrow arv. I hope holden doent charge me to get the number code but probedly will.
Its classic, waiting 45 minutes after u turned the car off was a similer experence in my old car everytime so i would be more than used to it.