Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Indicators don't self cancel

9C1pack

Reaction score
My VS2 indicators don't self cancel, I rang Holden spares and the guy said that a indicator cancel cam ($15.56) is what I need to purchase, he said it attaches to the underneath of the steering wheel.
I have repaired a VB before by replacing the little spring/wires and also the indicator cancel cam, but the Holden guy said that the VS does not use the spring/wires. My question is what does the cancel cam rub on to cancel the indicator, as I don't want to get it apart only to find that I need more parts than the cam, as it's half an hour to the nearest dealer.
My VS does not have an airbag, so I guess it is a similar process to the VB,
EG Disconnect battery, remove the centre horn cover by removing screws from underneath, undo the nut that holds the wheel on, use the puller to get the wheel off, replace the cancel cam, reassemble.
Any suggestions to help me do the job would be much appreciated.

5 speed VR

Green Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 Exc 5 spd
find a local wrecker , take some tools with you. If you dont have a wrecker.. goto the holden dealer , take tools , pull your car apart in their parking lot , see whats broken , replace it with parts you ordered in and reassemble , drive off a happier person

brewster123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 50th edition commodore ute
Have you replaced this cam yet? How did it go. I have a similar problem on my Vs ute (both indicators are failing to auto cancel)

yyg998vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Blue VS ute 5spd
I had this with mine

First Pull the the indicator out of the column just to check is the little white piece of plastic pops out (cancelling Cam)
and then when pushing it with your finger the opposite direct the stalk flicks back

If that works then you need need to check if it is the steering wheel

Dont worry dont need to change the steering wheel

ONLY IF THE CAR DOESNT HAVE AND AIR BAG, take the cover of the steering wheel off and remove the steering wheel
There should be a round plastic thing (sorry) on the back of the Steering wheel

on this "thing" there should be (but its broken of course) a protruding piece of plastic that will knock the cam in when turning the wheel

I put a whole custom wheel on mine with a boss kit that is all metal, so it wont be breaking anytime soon

pr855

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Indicators work OK but don't self cancel?

VScancelcamhornring_zpsb1e8f653.png

here is a photo of the VS20593 canceling cam / horn ring combo that clips onto the back of the steering wheel & physically returns the indicator switch to the off position

Note the black tab that sticks out from the back of the switch at the 2 o'clock position. This engages the switch & performs the self cancelling function

Remove your indicator stalk switch from the steering column,
if it has a small white finger that protrudes from the back of the switch when it is turned on in either direction, then more than likely the cancelling cam on the rear of the steering wheel is stuffed,
Remove the steering wheel, fit a new cam and it should be right to go.

The part No VS20593 fits a VS with the 4 spoke wheel & no airbag

More good info here on cams for different Commodore models:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/3751-indicator-stalk.html

Bram

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 3.8 Executive
G'day there. I have a custom wooden wheel to go on her with it's own boss kit. Do the boss kits come with a cancelling ring?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
G'day there. I have a custom wooden wheel to go on her with it's own boss kit. Do the boss kits come with a cancelling ring?

the correct bosskit should come with the cancelling ring built into it.