Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS interior colours - slight colour changes

WYN30

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubby-Cherry
Hey guys. Spraying the VS CLUBBY interior and I’ve searched the threads, can’t find anything detailed in relations to this topic, but I need to know what the two different colour blues are for the bottom of the door cards and the tops of them, the AC vents and a few other parts.
One is slightly lighter. The trim code is 25i but it just says Blue.
I’m chasing the two actual colours as I’m getting the interior sprayed original again because it’s scuffed, peeling and needs a face lift.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'll check out some of my Dulux paint code books that I've got on file.

WYN30

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubby-Cherry
That would be awesome vs-lover.
I know the variance is only slight in colour but it’s worth it in the end after a full resto on the old girl.
Much appreciated

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Can't the painter colour match to existing ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Generally the paints used on interior parts are not just standard paints, they use some unusual additives to achieve the textures that these parts display.

WYN30

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubby-Cherry
Can't the painter colour match to existing ?
They probably could but they’re not doing it. I will be. Done plenty before.
I’ve heard mixed reviews about the two tone colours. When a paint code states 25i and says “blue trim” and there are multiple variances of “blue” on the car even someone paint matching isn’t going to get the exact colour.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've looked at all the books I've got and there seems to be a cut off of information in interior part colours at VL. One of the many books I have is a 1996 Dulux book that everything up to VS Series 1 is in it but nothing interior wise.

It seems as though Dulux had nothing to do with interior paints from VN onwards as that's when the plastics plant at Holden was being scaled down with most of that stuff being outsourced to third party suppliers / manufacturers.

As far as the colours were concerned Holden always used a lighter and darker variant of the same colour as an accent in their interiors. The grey had a lighter and darker shade used on the upper and lower sections of the air boxes on the doors and the same went for the Blue and super rare beige that was fitted to VS.

I'm sorry that I couldn't give you the magic information that you require as I totally understand what you are trying to do but it may come down to what member VS 5.0 suggested and that is to use the services of a good colour matcher. I'm sure it's more than possible and will have to be done more and more as time goes by and these rarer vehicles are being sought after and refinished.

Now I have a question and that is what type of black paint was used on the rear quarter window glass surround as they were all originally painted in some special paint variant, but now they are all failing and looking rather shabby. I've spoken to many people within the crash trade over the years and no one can give me a definitive answer.

Cheers.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Some paint suppliers now have a computerized color matcher basically you take in a sample they scan it,the software gives them the mix to replicate the color.... the rear quarter panel window AFAIK weren't painted but are bare molded rubber or chrome...They go a yukie gray when all the oil/petroleum in the rubber dries out...Google rubber restoration there are a few options you can try...Im using black magic tyre spray at the moment with some heat from a heat gun before applying it, Im getting about 3mths before it needs to be redone....
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/black-magic-black-magic-tyre-wet-spray---680ml/339070.html

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Some paint suppliers now have a computerized color matcher basically you take in a sample they scan it,the software gives them the mix to replicate the color.

Even Bunnings do this.

BTW, are the plastics painted from factory or are they coloured plastics. I never had a problem with peeling in my VS that I owned for 19 years up until 2017.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi VS 5.0,

All the plastics are similar to final finish coloured plastic but have a light colour coating of paint over the surface.