Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs IRS LSD diff

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
g'day all
well today iam doing the rear main in my vs (calais series II auto L67).
After i got the auto out i decided to see if the lsd clutches were working good so i spun where the tailshaft hooks up to the diff and both wheels spin the same way as each other. So ok all is fine so then my mate
grabs one wheel spins it and i grab the other and my mates wheel keeps spinning easy as.So a lsd isn't meant to do this is it, could it just be that it has incorrect oil or something,the tag on the oil plug said high performance, use only approved lsd oil and it is full of oil. And the cars build tag said axle GU4

anyhow i appericiate any help you blokes can give me ok well thanks and talk to you all later

cheers all from matt

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
GU4 = Single spinner
G88 = LSD

spinning the tailshaft can make both ur wheels spin even if it isnt LSD
one way to check is to have the car jacked up and start it and put it into drive. if both spin, u got LSD, if its just one, someone has deliberatly put that tag on ur diff to trick u

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
F it
not what i wanted to hear ok well not all is lost, i wasn't told it was lsd when i bought it, just thought i won tattslotto when i seen a lsd tag on the oil bung and a trans oil cooler. maybe when someone checked it one day they lost the oil plug and found another one with the lsd tag ad used it instead oh well

i wasn't ripped off then really none the less still hurts. i always had a feeling that axle codes were different for lsd and non lsd and was a little sus when i read GU4 as i knew it was a code used on normal diffs

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
long shot, but it could be that the LSD clutches are stufed and therefor acting like a single spinner. pull the cover off the diff andhave a look at it, it's the only way to be 100% cetain what it is