Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Is stalling from reverse to drive?? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
I have a vy engine in a vs commodore, and when i reverse my car out the driveway and when i put it in to drive , the car stalls and the scary thing is that its an auto v6 lol? What can be that problem?

And when i turn my steering wheel ,my whole car shakes??

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
The throttle body and the Idle Air Control valve may need cleaning. The engine idle is raised when reverse is selected to prevent stalling. If the IAC valve is dirty idle speed will not rise and stalling occurs. I suggest you disassemble the throttle body and IAC valve and clean it with a throttle body cleaning agent.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It can also be the sign of a vacuum leak if the IAC cant control the idle properly.Its worth checking the vacuum lines around the engine and the vacuum reserve tank under the left front guard.This reserve tank looks like a black plastic ball looking thing, and is supposed to have a vacuum line connected to it.Sometimes the vacuum line can come off.If you have problems with the heater in your car not changing from feet to screen or vice versa,that can be another sign that there is a vacuum leak.But as mentioned above, most of the time with stalling or idling problems, the IAC valve and its passage in the throttle body can just need a good cleanout.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
my vn does that same, and when its hot the idle hunts, up and down, stalls when i turn to park at low speeds full lock,does my head in

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
my vn does that same, and when its hot the idle hunts, up and down, stalls when i turn to park at low speeds full lock,does my head in

same pull throttle body and clean, dismantle IAC valve, clean, lube with graphite powder make sure it operates smoothly, replace, reset base idle speed.
problem solved, next...

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
sweet thanks boys.. what about when i have my foot on the brake, the whole car vibrates, and shakes just a tiny bit?? and when my foot in on brake while i turn steering wheel, it shakes alot!

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
check brake booster for vacuum leak, maybe a split diaphram in the booster causing crap idle and air leak when you got foot on it. and turning steering wheel indicates IAC maybe not opening up to compensate for increased engine load.

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
It has been many many years however what happened to the car you had well i can tell you because as a mechanic i have come across this before , if you had not sorted it chances are the transmission self destructed, when your car stalls when changing through gears and sometimes while idling at lights is because you have not serviced transmission , transmission fluid needs flushing every two years 80% of transmission failure happens from not doing this. The shaking through the steering wheel is also a sign the trans fluid is old and crap as transmission fluid can make the car idle really rough and vibrate and also stall, most likely you already found this out though when no one here had the brains to answer properly and the transmission exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.