Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Kicks Over, Sucking Noise, then dies

unionoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hello everyone

Im new to the forum, so please bare with me

I have a VS Wagon, and at the moment, when i go to start it, it will sometimes kick over, and sometimes not, when it does, there is a sort of sucking noise from around the air filter/intake area. The car will not idle for more than a few seconds before it dies. I have replaced the fuel and air filters and checked for any leaks in the intake hose up to the throttle body, i'm at a loss of what the problem is, and of course I cant get it started to get to a mechanics, any help is appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

taki toto

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 Executive
Hi Andrew,
this actually sounds very similar to what my vs is doing right now. RACQ have identified it as the fuel pump...their guy got it moving by hitting the tank with a hammer, but I need to fix it asap...in mine you can't hear the pump working - can you hear yours pumping?

I was actually getting on here to ask if anyone knows how to replace a fuel pump...
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Zac.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Hi Andrew,
this actually sounds very similar to what my vs is doing right now. RACQ have identified it as the fuel pump...their guy got it moving by hitting the tank with a hammer, but I need to fix it asap...in mine you can't hear the pump working - can you hear yours pumping?

I was actually getting on here to ask if anyone knows how to replace a fuel pump...
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Zac.

Check the "How To's" or do a search, You will find your answer.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Hello everyone

Im new to the forum, so please bare with me

I have a VS Wagon, and at the moment, when i go to start it, it will sometimes kick over, and sometimes not, when it does, there is a sort of sucking noise from around the air filter/intake area. The car will not idle for more than a few seconds before it dies. I have replaced the fuel and air filters and checked for any leaks in the intake hose up to the throttle body, i'm at a loss of what the problem is, and of course I cant get it started to get to a mechanics, any help is appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Check the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster as from your description it is a pretty large vacuum leak.
Good Luck.

Deathproof

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Stato
What led up to this happening??

unionoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
What led up to this happening??

The day it happened there was not any thing unusual that occured, I just parked my car at work, and came out in the afternoon to head home and no-go!!!

In the past 6 months there has been a few occasions where the car may die going around a corner, or just as I am driving, but I would say no more than 10 times in the last 6 months.

Thanks for askin though

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

unionoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Seeing as this appears to be an ongoing problem there may be a fault code logged which will give a good indication of the fault. It's easy to do with a paper clip...takes all of 5 minutes - here is the "how to":
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

For some reason no matter how many times I try and do that with the Paper Clip it doesnt work, I never get the check engine light flashing, its really annoying, and of course it does this the week before I start my new job....

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the oil pressure switch connections as bad connections here or in the oil pressure switch can prevent the fuel pump running - what "should" happen when you go to start the car is you turn the key ....fuel pump will prime (run) for 2 seconds....engine cranks, fires and starts....oil pressure builds up immediately in engine and oil pressure switch then supplies power to the fuel pump. If the oil pressure switch does not detect oil pressure there will be no power to the fuel pump....no fuel = no run.
You could try the following: at the oil pressure switch remove the connector and bridge between the red and violet wire - this should then supply power to the fuel pump whenever the ignition is switched on. Do this as a temporary measure to see if the oil pressure switch is the problem - usually happens after someone has waterblasted the engine to clean it and this shorts the switch contacts.