Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 engine fuse blowing

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
Hey guys got a bit of an issue, my car keeps blowing the Engine fuse in the eng bay - 20A one.
Ive found that with the fuse out and on the side to give power from it has a short to ground (hook up multimeter Pos to give power side and NEG to batt Neg and i get continuity)
it only happens with the ign on and the EFI relay in(or if i brige the 30/87 terminals in the relay socket it does it to), from the wiring diag i have from my gregorys ive disc everything on that circuit (ECU, oil pressure switch, DFI module and injectors) and i still get continuity to ground i then pulled apart the DFI connector to have a look at the wiring inside all looked ok half re-assembled the connector, re-connected all the other bits and i had no continuity to ground from the fuse?? so i put another fuse in and it started, idled ok but as soon as i stalled it up it started missing slighty then died, fired up again and the fuse blew once more.
Has anyone had a DFI module play up or give any issues? ive swapped it now with a test one out of a VT NA V6 and its still doing it, could it be in the wiring? am i best to take it to an auto elec?

Any help appreciated

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id try replacing the EFI relay or swapping it over with a relay thats the same,and then see if it blows.I had a mate whose car was doing the same thing.He replaced the EFI relay and she was all good.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
tried that mate, and also just bridged out the 30/87 terminals and the short is still there

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The only other place the short could be at is either the wiring that goes to the injectors etc from the EFI relay ,or the wiring that goes to the ECU, or in the ECU itself.Looking at the VS wiring diagram,and the wires that go from the engine fuse, go to the ECU via a Red/black wire.It goes to ECU connector pin numbers B8 and A8, which are both located in the middle pink ECU connector plug.It also goes to the EFI relay,as you already know.Then from the EFI relay,the wires go to the injectors via a Red wire.This Red wire also goes to ECU terminal B12 which is also located in the middle pink ECU connector.This red wire also goes to the DFI module (DFI module terminal P).And it also goes to the oil pressure switch.Id be checking these connections and wires.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
figured it out, found the red wire which is the one that runs from the eng fuse, had melted n was shorting out against the passenger side cylinder head, fixed that n no more fuse blowing :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ah, good one,turned out to be an easy fix then.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
yea thankfully :)

jack of all trades

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
this sounds like whats happning to me but its engine fan fuse if i unplug efi relay short dissapears as when i take out oxe sensor or ecu ( big plug) does any one know what else could be going on there