Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
View attachment 224543

So you'll remember the front end collapsed when I got home from roll racing..

Turns out it was my lucky day.. and mostly my fault..

When I bought this, was from Tassie and the previous owner dropped it to the depot, they complained it was too low.

So he wound up the front suspension.. I should of wound it back down..

So my daughter got involved and helped me put it back together, didn't take long and it's all good now.. just got to lower the other side and all good..

I'm sure there's a tool that you can use to use on those adjusters, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are called.. LOL I'd much prefer to get the tool than use my knockmetre :)

I've got some spacers to put on it also..

View attachment 224544

check the threads to make sure you use the right nuts. Seen a few failures on spacers where the nuts were not correct to match thread for the spacers.

Bazspec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss l67
Barry is a legend! I thought Baz spec was doing the snout not basil? My Mrs sent mine to Baz spec for my birthday. Hopefully get it back in a couple weeks.
Bazil =brushworks slick sixes
Baz = bazspec fabrication

Bazspec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss l67
A "Baz" Did my snout and pully.. which Baz? I don't know hahah.. there's too many Baz's in the L67 space LOL

this is the snout and pulley Baz made and sent to me.

View attachment 224146

btw

Is the Baz I spoke to the guy that runs the L67tourque FB group?

all I know is that guy knew his stuff inside out and cant wait to get my car to him etc..

Do you know if he's got a Dyno there? I forgot to ask when I was on the phone.
Here's the funny part,both me and bazil admin l67 torque and l67 and turbo v6s Australia,many get us both mixed up and alot of people think we are the same person with separate profiles as we both do the same sort of work but only he tunes,I can't even tune a guitar

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So man what a day..

Big day going to see Baz after he's added the new snout and pulley, new 1100 CC injectors, loaded the 4 jerry cans of alcohol I supplied.

Going up to meet him while he dyno tunes it.

On the way there was a guy on marketplace selling 2 slicks and wheels.. to suit VS.. at Brisbane.. so met him on the way up.

Ex 1500, 2000 horsepower drag racer, who as he got older started racing a VS statesman, and won a ton of awards in it, for consistancy. Poor bastards health is deteriorating.. so he's getting out of it. He was a wealth of knowledge, was great to meet him.

He strongly recommended this for the auto.. he's got the same auto in his vs that I've got
1627529324210.png

it's got different settings and he reckons it shifts extremely hard, plus you can turn it off when on the street.
Anyone heard/seen of this before?

I've been chasing the correct tyres to run on the ute for ages, If you remember a few pages back was all excited when I go the semi slicks.. which are sticky as Sh** but as pointed out by you guys here, (thanks) tiny footprint.. since I've been investigating more.. tons of semi's for the drift guys, very few high profile ones to suit what I want to do..

I found a great deal on marketplace, including wheels.. MT slicks on wheels to suit VS. Came off a VS stato.
And front runners, that he had there aswell.

These wheels weight so little, the rears weigh less than the front runners.. I was going to get 2 of my steelies reduced in width and get some
tyres to suit, but he had them there and I picked up the front ones for 150..

These MT's are going to stick at willowbank, if they don't nothing will.

1627528666349.png
1627528694503.png

1627528722927.png
1627528760050.png

Ended up getting all these for a great deal, probly 1/4 of new, now all setup for our next willowbank meet, whenever that is.

Arrived at the
HPS
Baz is there with the Ute..

1627529143943.png

putting a video together, which I'll post a bit later.

took a while to get it all connected.. all the sensors etc. and tied down.

1627529595468.png

Baz is fine turning it for about 1 hour or so before he gives it a pull..

Damn, this thing is loud now.. it was screaming like a jet.. till

it started TINKING.. not thinking LOL Tinking really loud, so he shuts it down..

Picks it straight away..

1627529713504.png

Harmonic balancer Sh*t itself.

So got on the phone to repco.. getting one delivered.

1627530175393.png

now to get that pulley off, the workshop we were in had one, but after a fair while it couldn't get it off..
so a while later Baz drove to another workshop and picked up another one and eventually got it sorted.

Then back at it..

Tons of tuning, mainly winding back those massive injectors, getting the fuel right.

about 3 more pulls, 1/4 tank alcohol used.

This thing is so loud, that supercharger is screaming now with that little pulley on it. Sounds awesome LOL.

Attachments

• 1627528760351.png
    1627528760351.png
    820.3 KB · Views: 74

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
The first pull that broke the harmonic balancer did this.

1627530481939.png

After a bunch of tuning we ended up with this.

1627530521582.png

Could of gone more, but was happy to settle with a safe tune and it will do this all day on alcohol.

That's at 17 PSI with that new snout and pulley.

So these are rear wheel horse power numbers.. so pretty happy with that.

Pretty much standard L67 with injectors, boost, and alcohol and tune.

plus what Baz said are the smallest extractors he's ever seen on an L67
LOL I had no idea they were small. (that might be a cheap way to get extra power)

Standard LS1 rear wheel HP is about 225 - 250
and of course tons lighter than an LS1.

The VS 5L V8 is around 195 rwhp.

Those numbers aren't huge, but man, it's a completely different animal to drive.. so much instant power, I'm incredibly happy with it.

It's just instant power, plus he tuned the Auto to suit the 3.9's in the rear and it changes awesome..

A couple of years ago I had a ML63 AMG that was 355 kw's and did high 12's out of the box.

This thing feels like that on the highway now.. tons and tons of torque now, which it didn't have before.. it will easily beat the turbo ute now.. easily. dramatic difference.

So taking it roll racing this Saturday night, can't wait, but I'm mainly waiting to take it to willowbank again now, with these new wheels tyres etc..
Last time best was 15.3
Can't wait to see what it does now..

Last edited:

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So Baz put in new plugs, 2 leads and this 4 inch

1627532454976.png

along with the injectors and new fuel etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Those are some impressive figures man. 200kw is nice and is similar to side mount but with more power in the low range. Stock 304 only gets around 140kw with more weight.