Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

H

harrop.senator

Yeah man so you've got 100% argon , 2% oxygen , Argo shield , tri mix etc.

Has to match the work your predominantly doing.

If you plan on doing mainly stainless buy stainless gas and filler rod or wire. It can be used on mild steel and the weld won't corrode.

You can weld stainless with mild filler or wire to but then you've got weld corrosion issue possibilities.

Same for alli.

H

harrop.senator

Also if you want smooth welds , buy a pipe linisher lol.

Mine rocked up last week this was some practice work with it. I'm pointing out the little bits where the pool didn't completely fill the v or I lost the straight.

Can easily then just fill this little blemishes and re linish.

[

Gotta be careful not to get the cheap stainless to hot or it will melt out the impurities. That's what these black divits are they're 10-20mm away from where the weld was and came from bluing the China 304.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Nice one mate!! ^^^^

So this is the alloy that needs some fabrication

the rear of the blower goes this way originally.

1631839710156.png

But with the compound setup.

needs to go this way..

1631839750718.png

that's the only space for the IC tubing to come up.

That's too big of a job for me to do even after a lot of practice.. there's a local fab guy who's awesome.. who I think I could convince to do this part for me..

Just missed out on a A2A intercooler for L67 out of a VS too... that would of been perfect..

still not sure if I Need to run two IC's one for blower and one for Turbo.. considering it's running E85.

Raising the height of the blower is always a good thing IMO :)

H

harrop.senator

Blower mods like that speak to brushworks he's cut and welded to the rear housing. Both you and I could probably make it stick to it with practice.

Not getting it hot enough to warp casings and have issues with rotor alignment , sealing and bearing seating etc.

I'd be running a single 3" in with a 2-1 merge on the hotside ( passenger side ) with a single 3" cold pipe going through to the cooler.

Just remember the hotside piping will now be going in to the cooler pipe directly below your elbow if the elbow changes sides.
Screenshot_2021-09-17-09-34-15-64_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

H

harrop.senator

I got the mig120 viper earlier this year and am really impressed with it so far.

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same just less potential but if it is they're an amazing little machine.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm not sure if it's exactly the same just less potential but if it is they're an amazing little machine.
Smaller/lighter and mig only.
Setup for gasless, but can convert to gas shielded.
My point was more that I have trialled this brand and was quite happy with it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
For what you want to do might as well go the whole hog like chop 4 inches or more back from flange then add 3-4 inch opening & pipework to route the way you want it all to work.

Bazspec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss l67
Yes. Mig and Tig use shielding gasses to keep air away from the weld pool. Arc uses the slag to protect the weld pool. Gassless mig run the stuff in the centre of the wire to achieve a similar effect. Different welding types used different gasses and even different steel types work better with various gas mixes. It's a real science when you get into it. Next we should talk about back purging when welding certain materials .
I tend to do a argon helium mix for a.c if welds are crucial