Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On the corners of the wiper cowl

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Open the hood (as above look at the corners) should have something leaves ect ect.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
waterleak.jpg

so I pulled it apart to see if I could find more.. there weren't many leaves anywhere, or in that hole. but trying to get it as clean as possible, I pushed a screw driver down there, and felt it "give" .. so it was obstructed.. that's all cleared now.. hopefully that's it.. will run a hose over it this afternoon and see if the footwell fills up for a 3rd time in the last week LOL.

New Alternator and belt arrived.

I got a new alternator belt, because I can see wear on it.
I should of got a new blower belt at the same tim.. Doh!

Any tips on removing blower belt ?

I haven't changed any belts on any cars in over 2 decades .. so this will be fun..

Youtube doesn't have any blower belt replacement tutorials for L67's unfortunately.

There's a LOT of L67 content on youtube.. just nothing related to changing blower belts.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Use a 15mm spanner on the tensioner pulley bolt. I slip the belt off the idler roller and then release the tensioner. Same process for the main drive belt but I remove the tension and then slip the belt off the alternator pulley. Take a pic with your phone before removing the belts just in case you forget the belt routing.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Thanks mate!
Going to give it a shot this weekend.

Definitely taking photos first :)

Reactions: Lex

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I hadn't even heard of "Roll Racing" till a month or so ago, saw it on YouTube.

Booked myself and my daughter to drive the VS at Queensland Raceway last night. Drove up there, learnt it all. Got there early, met a ton of nice dudes out there.

Eventually it started raining and it was called off.. dang it.

But we still had fun and the tickets we paid for just transferred to 27th March. So we'll be there with bells on.. Should be fun.

The guy next to us had a late model commodore ute. V6 supercharged.. the engine cost him $40k he's got his own shop, so booked in a Dyno tune on my thing with him the next couple of weeks.. with the view to running my thing on E85 etc.. But first I'll get it to hook up first.

processed.jpeg
1processed.jpeg
2processed.jpeg
3processed.jpeg

got the video cameras ready..

extremely likely we'd be the slowest car there LOL

give it time, we'll get there, I just want to test it out exactly as we bought it ..

Hopefully we'll get to a 1/4 or 1/8th mile shortly.. so then we can get a time and start working on it some etc.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Thanks mate..

just got an email from them, turns out it's sooner.

The new date that we are running is ***FRIDAY*** MARCH 12th!

So we'll be there :)

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So... Finally got to race this ute, at long last, after 4 cancellations due to weather.

1/4 mile at willowbank raceway.

20210327_164958-smaller.JPG

20210327_162618.jpg

Turns out it was on the same night as my daughters best friends birthday, so she didn't come.

I wasn't expecting too much, this is exactly as I bought it, which is what I wanted to know and then work up from there.

I was hoping it would drop into the 14's ..

First run (on the right, highlighted in orange)

20210327_174044.jpg

street air pressure, completely as I bought it.

So heaps of room for improvement LOL.

Second run

20210327_194629.jpg

2 tenths better, but it wasn't going to improve over that, so I parked it and watched the other cars race.

Met some really great people.

Was beside a VN ute with a nice 350 chev in it, that runs mid 10s

20210327_170628.jpg

20210327_175623.jpg

Which is owned by a young woman who's owned it since she was 17 and built it to what it is now.. extremely impressive.

There was another L67 there in a VU ute.. Man that has so much work done to the engine and was doing mid 12's

So got a bit of a reality check, no way I'm spending that sort of money, so re thinking it a little..

My original plan was to try to get it into 11's over a couple of years..

So for now, the plan is to put a decent centre in the diff with 3.7 gearing..

Then get it tuned.

At the last roll race meeting I met a nice dude who owns a shop at Slacks Creek. he's got a dyno there, and has a ton of experience with the V6's
He put an after market blower on his V6 and it's putting out 870 NM of torque, he knows these cars inside out..

So will get a tune and decent gearing then decide where to go from there..

He said that when you change the gearing in the rear, the computer will freak out a bit and need the computer tuned to the new gearing.. news to me LOL I had no idea.. anyone here know about that?

What was weird, on the street the rear tyres light up.. but wearing a helmet, loud cars beside me.. I couldn't tell about the traction if it was great or horrible LOL.. It seemed to get off the line ok.. but very slow 60 foot, so could be just be under powered and in i need of an awesome tune etc.

Who knows, we'll find out when I get it on the dyno, in I hope 2 to 3 weeks.

We are doing the Roma 3 day 1/8th mile event at the end of April.. if anyone here goes there come and say hi..

We are meeting up with the woman there who owns the orange VN ute too..

Good news is, It can't go any slower LOL

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes diff gears will upset the tune.

On MAP based ECU's load is taken from manifold vacuum and changing diff gears has little effect. On MAF based PCM's load is based of the MAF tables, more RPM puts you into a different part of the table. I had to add in a bit of timing when I put 3.73 gears in the VX to get my fuel economy back. It probably still has more in it but I've been to lazy to fit a wideband O2 sensor and really dial it in,