Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
@peteinoz that is the same snout I'm looking at, just got to find some money to get it lol
Great to here you got in contact with a reliable source for information on the how to's.....

oh yeah i expect to see a post Sunday morning with results :p
Seriously your rig is coming together better that i imagined in a short time frame, congrats!

Reactions: Lex

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
@peteinoz that is the same snout I'm looking at, just got to find some money to get it lol
Great to here you got in contact with a reliable source for information on the how to's.....

oh yeah i expect to see a post Sunday morning with results :p
Seriously your rig is coming together better that i imagined in a short time frame, congrats!

Thanks Phil.

Yeah finally getting together a bit.. taken longer since I'm working on two cars now..

Racing them against each other will be fun.. I'll get some video if possible..

And can't wait to see the difference in the L67 with E85, pulley and tune.. then off to the drags again!! can't wait.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So got the L67 booked in at Bush Works monday after next.
Fit and supply injectors to suit E 85.
Fit Snout and pulley.
Tune.

Got off the phone with Barry, and figured out he is the guy that runs the L67Torque group, LOL he refers to himself as the one that everyone hates haha.

So we discussed how to do the fuel thing. I offered to bring it in with as little petrol as possible in the tank, Then bring one 20 litre gerry can with E85 in it. He laughed and said, we'll go through 3 of those on the Dyno Tuning it. So now I know it's deffinetely getting a Dyno Tune LOL.. dang that's a lot of fuel on a dyno..

I asked him if it's cool to video some of the tuning.. he said no worries, so that will be cool. I can share with you guys how that all goes.

Couldn't get a before run in.. bit too much work and time for it to cool down before doing the work needed to be done.. makes sense.

He's doing some custom intake tube work too, can't remember what for, adding a sensor I think.

Not really expecting huge numbers, especially without a cam and intercooler, but should get me into the 13's so that will be cool.

Also
I bought these dodgy 20 inch rims and never thought I'd use them, but with this diff gearing, they'll come in handy for highway running.

Turns out I was right.. 100 k's now on the speedo is about 122, before about 138. So engine is revving a fair bit slower than before.

Turns out they don't look that bad either

1626352137068.png

If I was going to keep them on, I'd need to lower the rear a couple of inches I reckon.

Saved me on buying new rear tyres, they were just about bald. How they got bald and the fronts are near new is beyond me :rolleyes:

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So man, we had an Awesome night on Saturday night Roll Racing at Brisbane..

1626872710039.png

But before that, I was talking to the guy I bought the Turbo ute from and he recommended I get an
AFR guauge, to make sure it's not running lean and melt a piston..

So I got this delivered.

Thursday night and I took friday off work to get the ute ready.

1626871597099.png

400 delivered..

What a nightmare, Any mechanicking skills I had back in the day are gone LOL

I got it hooked up ok, there was a bung in the exhaust.. I figured out all the wiring.. (there's a lot of it)

Got it connected and fitted.. turn the car on.. nothing... ****..

So while I was testing the fuses under the dash, below the steering wheel etc.. using my test lamp.. I touched the chassis..... shorted out the entire car.

Googled the main fuse.. it's a 60 amp fuse.. couldn't find it, Oh that's right he's moved the fuses from under the bonnet to under the guards.. which looks awesome under the bonnet, not so easy to get to LOL

When I went to pull that fuse is came apart in my hands... damn..

Lucky I got the donor VS ute.. go to that, can't get that main fuse out either it's stuck.. so to go roll racing I just bridged it with aligator clips... at least we could take it racing.

I put the original semi slick wheels / tyres that I got first that are low profile and put them on the front of the ute and others I bought on the back..

Sweet :)

Put it on the trailer and the L67 towed it.

Here's the video..

I edited it so some of you who haven't been before get to see what it's like out on the track etc.

Man what I night..It was my brothers 50th a month or so ago.. so I gave him a coupon to come roll racing.. His first time

we had both the utes there it was great fun.

1626872660698.png

Angelica had our first legit win since we started in the turbo ute..

The turbo ute is as we got it, no tune and 6 PSI.. tons more to come on that.

Starting to get to know people there, was great catching up with other racers.. ended up racing Bohdi in his L67 VU ute, with 400 rwhp
I was in the turbo ute.. he got me, but not by as much as I expected.. so that's a great sign.

I put the bigger wheels on the silver ute to bring that ratio up on the highway..

1626872483930.png

Got some stickers made too.

I had to roll the guards to get them to fit. but they still scraped a little so at the end of the night I drove the turbo ute home and my bro drove the silver ute. My daughter in her own white ute.

I don't know what it is about this ute, but whenever I get it close to home, something big breaks..

Just as I drove into my driveway, this happens.

1626872770538.png

It's still there now..

Turns out a friend of Bohdi's came over to check out the turbo setup on my VS, he's got an L67 and is going to replace the M90 with a turbo..

This guy knows his stuff inside out.. he's got it in a Mazda Bravo..

I told him it's got a steering kit in it, He said what type, the dodgy one or the good one? I had no idea , so we looked and found it's got the dodgy one.

where you chop out about an inch of arm before the tie rod , to give extra angle and weld it up.

I know why it's dodgy now.. when I went up the drive way the front left wheel fell over, I'm assuming that weld broke.. Haven't had time to get under and see , my business is flat out right now. maybe tomorrow.. still trying to figure out how to get it up the back of my place..

But all in all a great night..

Next one is on the 31st this month..

I've got the L67 booked in next monday for the snout to be fitted , new injectors and E85 and dyno tune. I think the dyno tune will be legit, Barry said I need to bring 3 X 20 litre jerry cans of E85 Just for the tune ..

So that will be ready for the next Roll Racing.. Cant wait..

Any guys up around gold coast brisbane way.. you should try it, it's massive fun and everyone there is extremely friendly.

There was 106 cars when we were there, so I've already booked my tickets.

Here's the link to register if anyone's interested

RACERS -Event

Angelica's win here against I'm thinking a stock turbo 6 falcon.
http://instagr.am/p/CRiQyY4DqJF/

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Heard steering arms can snap on the regular for 'drifters' with those mods but lower control arms...must've been d.i.y mod or gazzard mod

H

harrop.senator

I'm wondering if someone's tried to cut and shut them like a jap car not knowing how difficult it is to weld cast iron.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Heard steering arms can snap on the regular for 'drifters' with those mods but lower control arms...must've been d.i.y mod or gazzard mod

Agree'd

Turns out it's my lucky day.

This guy on insta liked one of my photos
https://www.instagram.com/allperformancegarage/
Check out his insta page, he's a hard core fabricator

Best thing is he lives literally 5 mins from me.. So I've organised for him to fix the front end. I'll rip it out and take it to him to fix.. it's up to him whether it can be repaired or not.. from his photos it's obvious he knows his stuff inside out , then I'll get him to check the other side and most likely brace it or something so that other side doesn't let go.. I'll wait to see what he has to say, especially considering how close he is. Nice to have a great fabricator so close..

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Quite like the lightweight cromoly 8kg crossmembers although scared to know pricing.

I'd probably go back to stock setup for rego reasons & prevent drivers getting too crazy drifting vg-vs ute....when they get to certain point rear end doesn't come back unlike a sedan or easy to drive vu-vz utes

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Quite like the lightweight cromoly 8kg crossmembers although scared to know pricing.

I'd probably go back to stock setup for rego reasons & prevent drivers getting too crazy drifting vg-vs ute....when they get to certain point rear end doesn't come back unlike a sedan or easy to drive vu-vz utes

It's registered already, so that's good :)

are these vs utes prone to "not coming back" compared to the sedans? guess we'll find out eventually.