Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
What a great video about the V6

and how to build a budget boosted engine.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So I've finally come around to the conclusion that I need a full engine rebuild.. took the cheap skate part of me ages to be defeated.. dang it LOL

Seriously considering doing the compound turbo/M90 scenario aswell.

Already got the IC for the turbo.. should get an A2A for the M90 to sit under it, give it a bit of height to add to the coolness factor aswell.

Just missed out on an A2A IC complete kit to suit a VS... for only 1100 missed it by 1/2 day.. that would of been perfect.

I've put some feelers out there for ppl to help me build it.

First thing is tidying up the engine bay in the silver ute.. putting the battery in the back.. building a better fuel system for it. mounting that in the back also..

Moving the fuse box? (what a pr*ck of a job that is) just opening up the engine bay to make it look cleaner and make room for turbo and IC plumbing etc.

I think it would be easier to put an L67 and M90 in the white ute, since the engine bay is already done.. but then stuck with a manual.. and prefer the auto for RR and drag racing etc..

this is what I'm thinking so far..

Now I've got the spare L67 engine.. probably re build that first and decide what to do once that's done..

We'll never be the fastest at RR.. but having a compound setup will be extremely cool. And considering as it was last time at RR I beat a turbo Ls1 to 3rd gear anyways.. the extra 100 horsies from compounding and working on the rear end to keep traction.. should be good enough for us for a fair while I think.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Oh lordy this gonna be good...you knew eventually you would lose the plot & want to go crazy on something haha

Personally I like to keep things as simple as possible & easier to work on as I don't have much time to actually work on my cars as I want to.

Build it right & reliable so can beat on it like it owes ya money...'cos it will owe ya money,blood,sweat & tears haha

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Oh lordy this gonna be good...you knew eventually you would lose the plot & want to go crazy on something haha

well I got two cars, turning them into one will be cheaper than maintaining both of them, and having one relatively fast cool under the bonnet thing will be fun.

I've really got no idea, but this is the plan anyways..

going to start doing build videos for youtube aswell I think.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I always thought if only had a double garage could only have or build 2 cars....proved myself wrong countless times :D

Always good to have a plan & to know general direction heading with a car...then trying to stay on course!!!

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I've got a question for you guys.

I welded a lot as a mechanic back in the day.. tons of oxy and stick welding..

would it be hard to learn welding aluminum?

how much would the appropriate welder to buy from ebay?

I had a look at the tafe welding course, they didn't say what it was they taught, they did mention oxy though.. don't need to learn about oxy welding and I've got a stick welder here which works fine as it is..

I'd need to be with someone to show me etc.. would be cool to be able to fab my own aly mods, which will be needed when adding the turbo to the SC etc.

H

harrop.senator

The turbo will make more outright power , the intercoolers will definitely help as it does get really hot compounding them.

It's a lot of buggering around for in my opinion not a huge gain compared to just running the turbo.

The motors aren't cheap to rebuild but usually very reliable once done right.

But definitely cool as!

Welding ally is no harder then steel in my opinion just need to be set up for it. What do you want to weld that's ally? The intakes and cooler pipes can be made in stainless steel.

I don't Tig but a nice little well adjustable 3 in 1 inverter that does stick , Tig and mig is around $900 with all the accessories from half decent brands.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Something like a TIG I personally would buy from BOC or maybe TTI and forget eBay. As for learning can't help you there, I can't weld. Well, I can weld two pieces of flat side by side but not well.

H

harrop.senator

I personally run this

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/unimig-pk11019-viper-inverter-185-migsticktig-welder-kit

these are just as good but I had a great deal on the viper at the time.

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/...5-migtigmma-single-phase-inverter-welder-pack

I've heard these aren't quite as sensitive to adjustment as the other two even though seems it would.

But that price right now be hard to beat for a learner machine

https://www.totaltools.com.au/12325...ig-welder-with-ag-reg-arc-torch-accs-multi180

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
To weld alloy you need an AC/DC tig unit and ideally one with a foot pedal control.