Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So as I mentioned ? or not above i can't remember, too buggered to look up.

My kids ute stopped on sunday.. looks fuel related.. got it towed to my local mechanic, who's awesome.. dropped the keys through the hole in the door..

phoned him this morning just before 8 am, no answer, continued phoning no answer.. drove there at 10am it's closed.....

why is he closed? no idea.. can't move the car, cause the keys are behind the door..

So it's stuck there till he opens..

so that's 3 VS utes and not one of them driveable DOH!!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'm other way around at the moment...I've broken or pulled apart everything but the ute & it's my only mode of transport untill new car arrives.

Although did get flat tyre last night from servo tyre guage that damaged valve as tried to check tyre pressures.

Had to drive to 4 other different servo's to find one that wasn't broken...manual steering in vp ute gets heavy so pump tyres up monthly lol

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So big shout out to BazSpec who called me after reading this thread. recommended I speak to Kimmy on FB re my order.

I contacted her and she was extremely helpful.

I described what I've got and what I needed,

I ordered the kit from her, she sent me a link to make payment.

All done.. should be here early next week as she had it in stock.

Great news our border between Qld and NSW is going down tomorrow, which means I'll now be able to go and pick up the new engine personally myself and meet the young guy I've spent a ton of time on the phone with. Turns out I guess we'll be racing each other at roll racing, him in his VU V8 blown ute against his engine in my ute.. should be a blast :)

I'm just going to get this new engine in it, then fit the W2A myself including water reservoir, pump tubing etc.

Trying to find a water reservoir with a large opening, so I can dump ice in it when racing..

This is the closest I've found so far.

1642134540824.png

Plus pump the heat exchanger and fan.

So with the heat exchanger , the guy I bought the w2a from used a Golf radiator as the heat exhanger, mounted it in front of the normal radiator.

I can't do that, because the turob IC will be mounted there.

So I'll mount it in the back of the ute etc.

Now if that's the case, maybe I should run an auto radiator and plumb the auto fluid through that also to help keep the auto temps down, cool trans last longer etc. That being said, can you run a transmission too cool? considering I'll be icing up the water that goes through that radiator?
I've got no idea, thought I'd run it past you guys.

Thanks again :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Trans needs to be pretty warm or it can get damaged, but too hot causes problems too. If you want the trans to run cooler keep it in the rad but get the biggest trans cooler you can fit and have that plumbed inline.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
actually the more I think of it, the trans fluid will help warm up the water in the system much faster, so probably better to keep that separate from the w2a circuit etc. And fit a separate one up the front somewhere, it deff needs one.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
You want your trans at engine operating temp (say 85° for argument sake).
I run my trans fluid to a cooler in front of all other rads to drop heat out of it, and then through my radiator to bring the fluid temp up/down to radiator temp which should be around engine operating temp.
Don't have a gauge on it, but has been going good.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
You want your trans at engine operating temp (say 85° for argument sake).
I run my trans fluid to a cooler in front of all other rads to drop heat out of it, and then through my radiator to bring the fluid temp up/down to radiator temp which should be around engine operating temp.
Don't have a gauge on it, but has been going good.

Thanks!

Bazspec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss l67
Run a volkswagen mk2 radiator as the heat exchanger for the w2a setup

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Run a volkswagen mk2 radiator as the heat exchanger for the w2a setup

Thanks Baz, that's the radiator that your friend who sold me the w2a said to me.

I've got my eye on this one, because it's got the fans on it too :)

1642251220289.png