Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Leakage

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
I thought i fixed up my oil leak , but its back, and brought its mates; trans leak, coolant leak(dont no where?just vanishes), exhaust leak, and another trans leak at the radiator,power steer leak. My vp never had so many leaks and it had done 285,000km and had an almost dead gearbox. My vs has done 215,000. The car dosnt drive badly or anything and i dont thrash it.

If u look under my car of a morning u see 3 colours; red first(must be power steer), then a light brown(oil) then a few drops of red again. Sometimes i dont get any leaks???

i have fair idea where most coming from except the power steer, coolant and trans leak. Can any one advise where to look cos ive tightend all hoses and bolts. Hopefully theres nothing too serious, cos i wanna keep this car for atleast 2-3yrs as its the car ive always wanted. Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks
Jamie

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Coolant check the heater switch near the brake master cylinder and also under the waterpump for a seal leak. Power steering - mine leaks sometomes from the lower hose at the oil reservoir and then dribbles down and ends up around the PS pump. Tightening the hose seems to have no affect. At 215K I'd throw a can of "trans stop-leak" into the box as in a year or so it will need overhauling....this will give you some breathing space. Do the same for the power steering if there is oil in the rack boots (bellows). Good Luck.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
thanks Hako much appreciated:thumbsup: , have allready added the nulon transmission treatment into the trans approx 3months ago(fluid is almost clear and not burnt), helped for a while, just seeps out now, not much, cant notice on dipstick did wonders for it tho, as for the p/s, yeh i think mines leaking from there(bottom hose into reserve), might buy new hoses see if that will fix, and i will check out that heater switch too as i cant think of where the coolant is going unless its evaporating, i have no pipe leak, water pump dosnt leak, heater dosnt leak and theres no leak inside the car apart from bloddy boot leak(also cant find yet).

WiLo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
what you think is a PS fluid leak could also be a auto trans fluid leak if its an auto, i originally thought my trans leak was from the PS but it was a old hose for the transmission cooler

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
WiLo iv got both a ps leak and 2 trans leak(1 at sump and 1 at radiator), ps leak i can see it running down the hoses

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As I'm a "tight-ass" I look at things differently. The PS leak with fluid leaking past the hoses - if I replaced the hoses I'd be up for at least $40. They leak about 20ml a week so if PS fluid is $5 a litre it costs me 10 cents a week for the leak.....which is peanuts and I can live with that. If I get even more skinflint, I might even try to seal the pipes to reservoir with teflon tape or even electrical tape. If it doesn't work then it has cost zilch. As for the coolant leak I would again look at the waterpump....underneath there may be a tell-tale trail of dried coolant. Maybe another can of Nulon as well for the trans and the PS.
Just remember that oil is CHEAP. To overhaul your trans to fix the leak will cost at leat $1200 which is equal to 240 litres of trans oil. The PS will cost around $300 for a rack plus $200 for the pump which equals about 100 litres of oil. Ecologically this is pretty bad but the world is run by bean counters.
My idea ....leaks = cheap

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
lol,yeh i know what u mean hako, u think exactly like my father,lol, the trans leak may just be a bad seal cos trans works fine, i wanna fix all the leak cos it stains the driveway and it gets to me that my car leaks and it not an old bomb.the exhaust leak gets to me cos it stinks out the engine bay and car dosnt sound right. i no il be up for $$$ ,but at least i no it will be done.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
went to my mechanic 2day, pwr steer pump is gone and need new rocker cover gaskets, no trans leak, and coolant was because bottom hose needed tightening, gonna find outrepair cost next week, after he orders my parts, thanks guys for ur input:thumbsup: