Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS loud squeaking noise

jared_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN exec S1
Hi guys,
In the last week mum hasnt stopped complaining to me about her VS S2 acclaim wont stop squeaking. Its definately coming from the fan belt but i cant work out what would stop it. It only happens when the weather is wet, even though the fan belt may not be. Has anyone had this problem? If so what did you do to get rid of it?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
If its squeaking and its not wet, you maybe looking at a new Belt. Sounds like her current one is wearing down. Try the Belt grip first though.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It could also be one of the pulley bearings failing - remove the serpentine belt and try turning each pulley by hand....any that are stiff/rough will cause a squeak. If they fail completely you cannot drive the car (no waterpump/power steering etc) so unless the belt quietener stops the squeak check the pulleys.
Good Luck.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
As hako said ,pulley bearings and its really hard to get rid of but it can be done ,I sprayed mine with WD/rp7 every time it started sqeaking and evently went away after weeks

jared_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN exec S1
cheers guys, ill give the belt grip a go and if that fails then ill try a new belt. Last night i took the belt off (thank god for the belt diagrams on here) and checked most of the pulleys. One was making a slight noise but it still spun fine. i took it off and sprayed silicon lube on the bearings and it appeared to make the sound go away but once i put it back on. after 5 or 10 seconds of running the car started the squeek again.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If one of the pulley bearing was making a noise it will soon fail despite saturating with spray lubricant. When they run dry of lubricant they are self-destructing and you can bet your bottom dollar it will fail late at night far far away from home on an off-pay week. New ones cost less than a slab of XXXX.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I know its defiantly wet wether related, since I started to cover my car with a water proof cover I havent had the squeek ,even though I still wash the engine down with a water blaster, so figure that one out ?

also I use RP7/Wd not so much as a lubricant but more for its water repelling properties

jared_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN exec S1
Knowing my luck it will probably last a while and fail on the way to my end of year exams! ill get it replaced sometime this week. Anyone know where i could get one in Adelaide? Shouldn't be hard to find at all but don't really have the time of day to even browse JC anymore (I'm at school right now - thank god for proxies). Thanks for all the help