Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS LPG advice.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Your talking about two completely different engines so yes it does matter.

I'm not though. My VS Berlina, with ecotec, is cheaper to run than my Kia - and thats with an old mixer dual fuel setup.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I'm not though. My VS Berlina, with ecotec, is cheaper to run than my Kia - and thats with an old mixer dual fuel setup.

Yeah you have valid points. Mr VE how ever does not. Can you even get a direct injection setup to suit the 5 litres or even the old 6's?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yeah you have valid points. Mr VE how ever does not. Can you even get a direct injection setup to suit the 5 litres or even the old 6's?

Yep. If its an injected motor you can fit an injection system to it. They cost double, but its worth every cent.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
for those that already have LPG systems, what are your experiences with LPG? do the cons outweigh the pros? could you please guide me into the right path, so many people with different story's!

Cheers Sam :)

That's what he was asking

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
If your going through 2 tanks a week you have issues. My V8 gets a tank a week and it isn't babied. What sort of k's are you doing?

Roughly about 1600 km per week.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bear in mind, I'm not concerned about power for a single second. My vs gets babied. I wouldn't put power over cheaper fuel. On the other hand, my VE gets a hard time.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Well mechanical aspect you just need to get it top notch at all times, and make sure you run it on petrol every now and then

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Only if its dual fuel lol.. get rid of the petrol altogether and run the best straight gas system you can buy. At 1600k/week it will pay for itself very quickly.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Only if its dual fuel lol.. get rid of the petrol altogether and run the best straight gas system you can buy. At 1600k/week it will pay for itself very quickly.

A couple of people have brought this up actually. Kinda considering it. Can the tank fit where the old petrol tank is or would I still need to put it in the boot?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
A couple of people have brought this up actually. Kinda considering it. Can the tank fit where the old petrol tank is or would I still need to put it in the boot?

Yes, you can replace the petrol tank with a gas tank and leave your boot empty. That usually will leave you with less range though, an underfloor tank is usually a little bit smaller. LPG tanks are built pretty solidly, and run out of pressure before they are actually empty, so an 80L gas tank only actually has about 68L of useable capacity. You can get 80L and 100L tanks for in the boot, the 100L will give you a useable 80L or so but intrude more into the main boot space.

How big a tank you can fit in place of the original tank I am not sure, havent done it, but it will likely be a fair bit smaller than 80L.

Of course, you can also have both underfloor and in-boot tanks if you like, if you think you arent worried about the loss of the boot space. Thats a great option if you want extra long range, but will add to the cost because of course you need a second tank and ancillaries.

Realistically a boot tank is really not that much of a problem, it only takes up the ledge behind the seats. It does however mean you no longer have the option of folding down your seats for long objects, and it is pretty much in the space where most people would fit their subwoofers, so if thats important to you then the underfloor tank would still be the best option.

You will still have plenty of range to get you to the next gas of course, but you will have to fill up a little more often, thats all.

You would have to talk to the gas guys to see what options are available to you. Many cars with the spare wheel on the boot floor can have a donut shaped tank to fit in the spare wheel well but with the VS having its spare on the side, that option wont be available. The donut tanks are pretty small anyway.

The plus side of getting rid of petrol altogether is the car can be tuned specifically for gas, no more compromises, and this will get you real benefits in fuel consumption, engine life and power.

If you dont want to replace valves and stuff, but want to increase your engine life more, then there are automatic lubricating systems you can have fitted when you get the gas fitted which will solve that problem. I personally have never fitted one of these systems and have never had problems with the valves, but they do get hotter so its worth considering.

The only real downside is that you really want to avoid running out of gas! You cant just bring a tin of petrol to get you to the next gas, you would have to be towed to the pump.

Last edited: