Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS LPG advice.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
Thanks guys for all your help! She's booked in for Tuesday next week :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
cheapest way would be tio find an indate good second hand system, currently it's about the 60 cent mark per liter where i am to, i do about 500 km's a week and save about $35 a week compared to petrol, the rebate is $1000 and will be next year also, they're changing it to X ammount of rebates available next year so only the first people to put in for it get it, if you wait to long...... no rebate

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
what did you go with in the end?

After evaluating what everyone told me and the value of my car, I didn't think it was a good idea, financially to go direct injection on a vs. I was quoted from 3500 to 4200 from different installers. That's 2 times what I paid for the car. I don't really care for it to be honest. I booked it in for the old mixer system. 1290. Tank is second hand with 7 years on it (probably outlast the car) everything else under the hood is brand new. So I'm only 300 out of pocket.
I think I've made the right decision considering how long the car will last and how much I paid for it. I don't really want to spend way too much. If it was worth the effort, id rebuild it, strengthen the internals and run it on straight gas.

Also I'll be sending off the paperwork as soon as I can! If I can't get in this year, surly I'll be amongst the first people in the next financial year... I hope!

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
No worries mate, makes sense. Just keep the thing properly maintained, regular gas system servicing and engine tuning, and you will be more than happy. Most of the problems that people whine about even with older gas systems are caused by lack of maintenance. Poor tuning is exaggerated by a mixer system, but stick it in for a regular checkup and it will serve you well. It will save you a heap of moolah.

BadDad62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Gen3 UTE
No worries mate, makes sense. Just keep the thing properly maintained, regular gas system servicing and engine tuning, and you will be more than happy. Most of the problems that people whine about even with older gas systems are caused by lack of maintenance. Poor tuning is exaggerated by a mixer system, but stick it in for a regular checkup and it will serve you well. It will save you a heap of moolah.

Do your normal services as usual and replace the air filter twice a year :cool:

Do keep around 1/4 tank of petrol in the tank because to low a fuel will stuff up the fuel pumps.
No need to start on petrol at all although some systems do automaticly.
Drive until you run out of gas then change over to petrol.

My 94 VR has 422,000 on the clock atm and in the 4 odd years i've owned it still gets 450ks to 65litres :w00t:

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do your normal services as usual and replace the air filter twice a year :cool:

Do keep around 1/4 tank of petrol in the tank because to low a fuel will stuff up the fuel pumps.
No need to start on petrol at all although some systems do automaticly.
Drive until you run out of gas then change over to petrol.

My 94 VR has 422,000 on the clock atm and in the 4 odd years i've owned it still gets 450ks to 65litres :w00t:
That's exactly what I was told by the dudes. They basically said, keep your ignition system upto spec take the system in for a check up every year and you'll set provided you don't go hooning in it.

What's the best plugs and leads for these cars? Ngk?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
You do need to start on petrol for the mixer setup unless you want to sit there for s couple minutes while it struggles to fire up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
You do need to start on petrol for the mixer setup unless you want to sit there for s couple minutes while it struggles to fire up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I was told it injects petrol at start up until the car is started, then it cuts off the petrol. I also have the option of adjusting how long the car runs on petrol before switching it on gas. But I won't worry about that.

Speaking of a couple of minutes starting on gas. The other day at the Bunnings car park I heard a ford cranking and cranking and cranking. I saw It was on gas. Is it doing this because there's petrol left in the tank?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
could be any number of things causing a car on gas to take ages to start, not tuned correctly, poor maintenance, fuel injectors staying on to long with the lpg aswell (some older setups can do this if the switch timer isn't set correctly), fuel injector start time set to short (same as last issue), petrolissue...... blocked filter, cactus pump, no petrol...... some setups are on a timer from starting on petrol then switching to lpg and others only start on petrol and once a certain rpm is hit switch to lpg (there are more setups but these 2 are the most common for efi).

The ones that only start on petrol and switch at a certain rpm can be bad if the fuel pump dies.... It'll refuse to start.

In addition to my earlier post regarding economy and savings, i can get 600 km's out of 64 liters of lpg on a long trip @ mostly highway speeds, where i average 430 normal daily driving.