Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs major problems help???

vr_shart

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
vr executive
hey recently brought a vs ecotech which starts fine when cold runs smooth but after about two minutes there is loud tapping noises coming from around or in the rocker covers but after another two minutes or so the noise stops and so on, we also put new oil in and ran it for a day and then we drained it again the oil was as runny as water after 1 day????

also when engine gets turned off there is a hisssing/bubbling/gurgling noise coming from around or in the plenum (i think thats its name) and after ten seconds there is a final release of air that comes out or in the air intake which stops the hissing/bubbling??

also when it broke down the first time the car would not start it was like the battery was dead , the car would turn over only a little bit but smoke was coming from the harmonic balancer when we were trying to crank it, after two hours of cooling down the car worked again????????????
my mate had all this happen in his vp once and he blew a piston lol , so i need to fix

all these problems related or?????? any advice would be handy
thanks in advance

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
I am wondering whether your PCV valve is causing (some) problems? It may explain the hissing/bubbling etc.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Remove the drive belt and start the engine(for no longer that a couple of minutes) and see if the noise is still there.It might be a seized bearing on one of the pulleys or the water pump.Or it could be the harmonic balancer itself.If removing the belt makes no difference then it is probably coming from inside the engine.Do a compression test to check the condition of the engine.The hissing might be a vacuum leak or vacuum hose that has come undone.But the way you have described the oil,Id be definitely doing the compression test,and also get the cooling system pressure tested.And the oil pressure checked as well.(all fairly cheap to get done)

Last edited:

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6

sydsider66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
Mine is doing the same.Ive been told its the oil feeder hole or holes in the lifter or lifters.If theres too much gunk in the heads this will cause it to block up especially when cold but when it heats up the oil it comes good.Especially if you dont run a treatment to clean the gunk out at every oil change from the first oil change from new.If it does it continually without coming good you could be up for new lifters.Its probably making noise from the left head.Its common.