Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs maloo cooling issue

Drewski69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hsv maloo vt
Hello, have a Hsv maloo 1997 model , have problem with it running hot only while using ac in traffic.Has a clutch fan which works , pump , thermostat and radiator ok.Has electric fan in front of ac radiator that turns on when ac is on.Questions are , should this electric fan blow air out the grill or through the radiator and is it 1 or 2 speed.At the moment it blows air towards the grill which i would have thought counteracts the the direction of the clutch fan.Cheers.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi, definately should blow air through the radiator.
As it is when the car is in motion the fan would be fighting with the air coming in the grill and it would be a losing battle.
Check if the wires to the fan are connected back to front and causing the fan to spin the wrong way.

Cheers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah definitely meant blow not suck. If it is sucking then it is also pulling hot air from the engine bay in standstill traffic but then it is also fighting your clutch fan. Fix the issue with the thermo and let us know how you go. Has the clutch been replaced yet they only last 200k or thereabouts before they stop performing well as they can.

Drewski69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hsv maloo vt
Turns out fan blowing the right way , just felt like blowing the wrong way because ac condenser was/ is blocked up with dirt etcetera.Blew out with air gun , see how it goes , might need a new one.Thanks.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Unfortunately, the cooling on the Holden V8s using the clutch fan is fairly marginal, especially when using air conditioning on very hot days in stop-start traffic. The only real solutions are to turn off the air conditioning when you are stopped, or to do away with the clutch fan entirely and install electric fans with a proper radiator shroud. I installed AU fans on my 383 VS Calais, which had the block partially grout filled, decreasing the coolant capacity. Never had a cooling problem in hot weather afterwards. There are a number of posts on replacement fans for VS V8s in this forum.

Drewski69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hsv maloo vt
Yep i have thought about it , she's pretty much stock standard so want to keep it that way.The condenser was pretty grimey especially after taking fan off , it's alot cleaner than it was but pretty hard to clean.If she keeps getting hot ill put in a new condenser.